X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu can't find kdevelop

Hi everyone,

I've just installed kubuntu 10.4 on a windows xp machine. The installing was OK but after that I wanted to do some coding using kdevelop. However when I call the kdevelop on terminal the system prints the following message:

No command 'kdevelop' found, did you mean:
    Command 'qdevelop' from package 'qdevelop' (universe)
    kdevelop: command not found

Anyone have any suggestion for the cause of this?

Thanks in advance

Re: kubuntu can't find kdevelop

Installing KDevelop > KDevelop 4 Out Now

[img width=400 height=254]http://img810.imageshack.us/img810/3756/93691118.png[/img]
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

What Rog131 said, and ...

You can ignore that "qdevelop" suggestion. It is an older IDE for Qt4 which, since the release of QtCreator, I doubt is supported any more. If you want to cross platform development using Qt4 I recommend QtCreator. It is in the repository, or you can download and install the sdk from the qt.nokia.com website.

64bit: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/sdk-linux-x11-64bit-cpp
      32 bit: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/sdk-linux-x11-32bit-cpp

You can install it under your home directory. The documentation, included in the download and online is second to none. Write the app on any supported platform and compile it on any supported platform (unchanged) and it gives the same look, feel and capabilities on all platforms. An excellent community support forum is http://www.qtcentre.org/forum/.

Pardon my bias and personal experience, but Qt4 is a world class API and QtCreator blows MSVSC++ out of the water.

There is a large collection of QtCreate video on YouTube.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

what GG said!

qdevelop is still getting worked on, but there is way too much behind qtcreator. qtcreator was one of the best things to happen to linux. Windows developers that were "raised on studio" are much more likely to make the transition. Never underestimate the power of a positive first time experience.
        FKA: tanderson

Comment

This is probably a stupid question, but I'm unfamiliar with the apt package system. How does one install just the single package Kdevelop4 on kubuntu 10.04 (AMD64)? I'm not too keen on enabling "unsupported updates" as to me this implies that in the future my updates will install alpha stage packages. I just want kdevelop and whatever it depends on, nothing else, no additional bleeding edge packages and updates.

Also, why isn't kdevelop in the normal repositories and will it ever be on the LTS version 10.04? It seems like a pretty important package.

PS Just to weigh in on the other discussion. QtCreator is nice but Kdevelop is much smarter in it's code completion abilities, at least from my limited experience. I just love this feature when the IDE get's it right most of the time.

TIA

Comment

In a Konsole:

sudo apt-get update
            sudo apt-get install kdevelop

QtCreator is nice but Kdevelop is much smarter in it's code completion abilities, at least from my limited experience.
            I seriously doubt that KDevelop could come anywhere near QtCreator's code competition capabilities. QtCreator is tied directly and natively into Qt API. When you type in a part of a class name (yours or qt's) it will begin offering your suggestions. Complete on the class you want and hit a period or "->" (heap or stack) and for that class EVERY property, method and flag appears in a drop down dialog. Select what you want. When you type "(" or "," another combo box shows you the possible parameters. I've never seen KDevelop do that for the Qt API to the extent that QtCreate does. The qmake and project.pro editing feature is bar none the best.

KDevelop is a "be-all", "do-all". QtCreator is custom designed to do only Qt.

But, to each his own.
            Attached Files
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm sorry, my question might of been badly worded. As I understand it, in 10.04 LTS, those commands won't succeed unless I enable lucid-backports. I was concerned about the affects of enabling backports. There are two goals, to keep my system as close to the normal repositories as possible and to install kdevelop.

I'm not interested in the updating to and testing a bunch of unrelated and unsupported software packages. I just thought I might like to have kdevelop. Will it ever be in the normal repositories?

Comment

You could easily enable lucid-backports, install only kdevelop, and then disable lucid-backports without updating anything more than is necessary to run kdevelop. (And no, new applications cannot be added to the main repositories after release, -backports is the best that can be done)

Comment

Working...
                X