Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, can't login. Screen blinks. Savage driver prob

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, can't login. Screen blinks. Savage driver prob

Hello,

After upgrading from karmic to lucid, and the upgrade didn't updating grub kernel entry, I updated to grub2 and removed the old kernels.

Now, after I log in at KDM, the screen blinks and returns to KDM. X log gives a fatal error with the SAVAGE driver, some framemapping range problem, serverinit failed.

If I change xorg.conf to vesa or some other drivers I tested (s3, savage, s3virge), KDM won't even start, the pc just hangs on a black screen forever requiring a hard reboot and recovery mode and etc.

Any clues anyone? I never had a horrible upgrade like this before.

Re: After upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, can't login. Screen blinks. Savage driver prob

Found a weird workaround, but of course I don't want to keep it this way.

1. at the console, kdm stop
    2. rmmod savage
    3. modprobe savagefb
    4. startx (instead of running kdm again)

It worked! But now X is much slower... Now what is going on here?

Help anyone?

Comment

Re: After upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, can't login. Screen blinks. Savage driver prob

Weird stuff happening. If after those steps I run KDM, it loads the savage driver again and problem restarts.

If I edit the xorg.conf file and change the savage driver to savagefb, KDM freezes/hangs before showing up, on a black screen.

I am clueless of why it only works with startx and not with KDM.

And why I never fiddled with xorg.conf with earlier releases (jaunty, karmic) and it worked just fine, and suddenly the video driver doesnt like my pc anymore.

Comment

Ok, started from scratch.

Used a fresh installed Kubuntu 10.04 downloaded CD. And guess what?

Same problem!!!

It clearly wasn't an upgrade issue!

Now I don't know what to do next! I can only use it by everytime going to the console, stopping kdm, rmmod savage, modprobe savagefb, and startx!

This doesn't make ANY SENSE!

Comment

Update on the issue:

Now startx also works with savage, I don't need to load savagefb anymore.

So I installed xdm, and changed from kdm to xdm, and it worked!

So it's obviously an issue with KDM.

Also to note is the fact that the fatal error that sometimes appeared in Xorg.0.log doesn't show up anymore.

The problem with the xdm workaround is there is no "shutdown" button in KDE, onle End current session. And also that xdm has fewer options and it has primitive graphics.

Comment

Nice fight
            Isn't it possible to use at least the shutdown widget?
            Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

No, pressing the widget just has the option "end session". Still, yeah I did make a shortcut for calling poweroff.

But now worser issues are happening.

Please any good soul, all the info you need is here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ge/+bug/584674

This upgrade-turned-to-clean-fresh install is getting horribly every time.

Comment

check your home dir for a file .xsession-errors
                if there is something there, you need to take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                X