Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SOLVED - Shutdown problem and CRAZY error message?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOLVED - Shutdown problem and CRAZY error message?

My second problem with the new distro. Computer won't shut down and need to use the button. Had this problem earlier and learned what to do BUT this time I got the following strange message in konsole. Can anybody tell me what on earth is going on here? Why is it talking about a currency introduced date Have I somehow corrupted this configuration file Showing only first part of error message here, the last line repeats over and over again.

:~$ sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst
    [sudo] password for bernie:
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-bernie" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-bernie" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    kate(11944): ""CurrencyIntroducedDate" - conversion of "" to QDate failed" " (wrong format: expected 3 items, got 1)"
    kate(11944): ""CurrencyIntroducedDate" - conversion of "" to QDate failed" " (wrong format: expected 3 items, got 1)"
    kate(11944)/Kate (Indentation) KateAutoIndent::setMode: mode "0" does not exist
    kate(11944)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/usr/share/mime/magic"
    kate(11944)/kdecore (services) KMimeTypeFactory:arseMagic: Now parsing "/home/bernie/.local/share/mime/magic"
    Error: "/tmp/ksocket-bernie" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or directory
    QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/(my user name)/.config/ibus/bus
    Bus:pen: Can not get ibus-daemon's address.
    IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

I'm only here so often because I'm too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Re: Shutdown problem and CRAZY error message?

Let's see bernie -- where to start?

1. Don't start graphical KDE packages like kate with "sudo" -- use "kdesudo". Or you might mess up your ability to log in ( or maybe that doesn't matter any more .....). That is the source of these errors:
    Error: "/var/tmp/kdecache-bernie" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    Error: "/tmp/kde-bernie" is owned by uid 1000 instead of uid 0.
    2. What are you doing in /grub/boot/menu.lst with *buntu 10.04? Is this an upgraded system, originally from before 9.10? Because since 9.10, the grub has been Grub 2, which does not use the file /boot/grub/menu.lst.

I think we need to know more about your system -- where it came from, and how you installed 10.04?

Comment

Re: Shutdown problem and CRAZY error message?

Hi Dibl,

I completely forgot there is a difference between sudo and kdesu!
      That explains it.
      Yes, my system is an old one that has been upgraded many times. It started off at 7.04. I just was trying to do what worked before - about 2 years ago - after I had the same problem following an earlier upgrade. Stoopid!

Installed 10.04 in my usual way, through the update notifier that tells you there's one available. But I don;t know if that means it was through Kpackage or through Synaptic.

In any case, the problem seems to have disappeared now, since I have successfully shut down and rebooted twice this morning.

No problems at all since the upgrade other than the shutdown one yesterday and a very intransigent flash player problem.

Thanks for your advice - as always!
      I'm only here so often because I'm too blinking lazy to learn shell!

Comment

Working...
      X