This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FIXED] Blank, Black Screen After Login

I'd been happily running Kubuntu Karmic 9.10 for several months, when yesterday I got a popup notice that an upgrade to Lucid had just become available. I eagerly started the update process, not realizing that I was getting Ubuntu 10.04, not Kubuntu 10.04.

Now, although at bootup the login screen appears and works, my desktop does not appear, only a black screen. I see the cursor, but nothing else. I can login from a terminal, but of course, no GUI.

How can I fix this? Trying to reinstall Karmic involves setting up the partition table. I'm not exactly ignorant about this, but I get an error from the install GUI saying I haven't designated a root partition. Unable to figure out how to do this.

My system is a 64-bit Win 7/Kubuntu dual boot, and I don't want to mess up the Win 7 part, cause that's my backup system.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Blank, Black Screen After Login

Originally posted by pablo173

I eagerly started the update process
    Did you interrupt the update process?

I suggest you first try logging in to the CLI, and running these:

Code:
    sudo service kdm stop
    Code:
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    Code:
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Code:
    sudo service kdm start
    If that doesn't run X, then you might want to try

Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    and then reboot the system and see what you have.

My system is a 64-bit Win 7/Kubuntu dual boot, and I don't want to mess up the Win 7 part, cause that's my backup system.
    None of the suggested commands should interfere with booting Windows -- that would only happen if you choose to install Grub (again).

Although, I can think of other recommendations for a backup OS ....

Comment

Re: Blank, Black Screen After Login

I had a similar issue, the plasma desktop was not working. I could still use Alt-F2 to get to my apps.

If it is the same for you, check out this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111315.0

Tweev

Comment

Working...
      X