This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Want to boot to console, don't want graphic splash screen

Hi, as the subject says, I want a simple text boot. I LIKE seeing the scrolling lines of text, and I want to go to a console login when booting is finished.

I'm coming from Mandriva where doing this is easy. I've searched and searched, but I can't find any way to do this in Kubuntu.

Help?

thanks in advance

Re: Want to boot to console, don't want graphic splash screen

See Grub 2 Basics and scroll down to Grub 2 Files & Options and read about /etc/default/grub
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I had tried that yesterday, but I didn't do update-grub so it didn't work. This has fixed the boot issue.

But it still throws me into a graphical login screen. I want it to default to a console login, no graphics at all. How can I accomplish that?

thanks again!

Comment

That is doable, but I'm not the one to tell you - I don't know. But, until then, all you have to do, once the KDM login screen presents, is press Ctrl+Alt+F1. That will take you to a console login. Should you then, later in your session, want to go into your Desktop Environment, just press Ctrl+Alt+F7 to go back to the KDM login screen.

Comment

Right, I know I can get to the console login from there. But I don't want X to start at all until *I* tell it to. I don't want to see a framebuffer screen. I don't want a graphical login. I just want to boot to a console login, like we did years ago.

Can anyone point me to where KDM is invoked during startup?

Comment

Read through [all variants] disable X startup after installing ubuntu-desktop

It's for Gnome (GDM), but I think the information is applicable (as in the case of editing /etc/init/kdm.conf instead of /etc/init/gdm.conf). I think that you might gain insight on what needs to be done to achieve what you are wanting.

Comment

That did it! Thanks!

Commenting out these lines in /etc/init/kdm.conf results in a console login:

#start on (filesystem
              # and started dbus
              # and (graphics-device-added fb0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
              # or drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
              # or stopped udevtrigger))
              stop on runlevel [016]

Many thanks for your help

Comment

Happy to help in any way I am able.

Comment

Working...
                X