This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atheros AR9280 Wireless card

I'm not sure where to start. I've installed the card and its driver. My system recognizes the card, I think, because here's the relevant output of "sudo iwlist scan":

*-network
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: c0:cb:38:39:01:a0
    width: 64 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=2.6.32-39-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
    resources: irq:18 memory:fbdf0000-fbdfffff

That's good, right? But when I run iwconfig, I get this:

lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11abgn ESSID:"Hen3ry"
    Mode:Managed Frequency:2.427 GHz Access Point: 00:1A:70:4A:11:E9
    Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm
    Retry long limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thrff
    Power Managementff
    Link Quality=20/70 Signal level=-90 dBm
    Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
    Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

vmnet1 no wireless extensions.

vmnet8 no wireless extensions.

So, if I'm reading this correctly, it's seeing both the card and the wireless network. The network itself is secured with mac address control, and I have entered the Atheros card's mac address on the list.

The output of "sudo modprobe -l *ath*" is:

kernel/drivers/md/multipath.ko
    kernel/drivers/infiniband/hw/ipath/ib_ipath.ko
    updates/compat-wireless-2.6.34/ath5k.ko
    updates/compat-wireless-2.6.34/ath3k.ko
    updates/compat-wireless-2.6.34/ath.ko
    updates/compat-wireless-2.6.34/ath9k_hw.ko
    updates/compat-wireless-2.6.34/ath9k.ko
    updates/compat-wireless-2.6.34/ath9k_common.ko
    updates/drivers/net/wireless/ath/ath9k/ath9k_htc.ko

I'm sure there is other relevant stuff, but I'm too new to know what it is. Any ideas about where I should go next? Thanks.

[Posted later:]

And one other odd thing has begun to happen. I get repeated queries from the network for the password, but in the query dialog it includes an extremely long password that is not mine. In the taskbar I see the wireless symbol, and when I hover over it, I get a pop-up box that says that the wireless is "activating" and trying to get a network address . . . but it never does. Then I get the pop-up dialog again with the incorrect password.
    Last edited by Don; Mar 10, 2012, 01:31 PM.

Hi Don...

It appears there were some problems with this chipset before kernel 2.6.39. I was able to find two reports, here and here, that state that installing the package "Wicd" solved the problem. Although these were written concerning 11.04 (Natty,) it may also apply to 10,04. If you want to try installing Wicd, you will need to make sure that you uninstall every trace of Knetwork manager, otherwise there might be conflicts. I have seen posts from GreyGeek (on this forum) in the past showing how to go about doing this. Just use the "search" function on the upper right corner of the page and you should be able to find them. :-)

Regards...
    Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ loves and cares about you most of all! http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/
    How do I know this personally? Please read here: https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...hn-8-12-36442/
    PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS PODCAST! You don't have to end up here: https://soulchoiceministries.org/pod...i-see-in-hell/

Comment

Working...
    X