This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: iwlist scan......"no scan results"

Changed my /etc/network/interfaces file. Thanks for clearing that up.

yeah I ran iwlist with root privileges and got the same result.

Comment

Google and Ubu forums led me to this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=576238&page=2

You might try adding

Code:
      auto wlan0
      iface wlan0 inet dhcp
      to your /etc/network/interfaces file, and then restart and check it.

Comment

It's funny you should say that, I had thought to look at my interfaces file in BackTrack to compare the two it was different to the one I had in kubuntu so I copied it across, but unfortunately it has made no difference.

My /etc/network/interfaces file now looks like this (plus the addition you suggested I make in an earlier post):

Code:
        auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback

allow-hotplug eth0
        iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth0
        iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto eth1
        iface eth1 inet dhcp

auto eth2
        iface eth2 inet dhcp

auto ath0
        iface ath0 inet dhcp

auto wlan0
        iface wlan0 inet dhcp

Comment

Wow -- I think you've hit a record for longest /etc/network/interfaces file I've ever seen!

Well, this is just frustrating. I'll tell you what I would do if it were me chasing this silly issue around, and then you can decide. I would download an ISO and make an aptosid live CD, from the best mirror you can find here: http://aptosid.com/index.php?module=...unc=view&pid=2

If your computer is not too wimpy, go ahead and get the "KDE Lite" version of 2011-01. If it's running on a hamster wheel, better get Xfce. But you've got Kubuntu running, so I think KDE Lite would be no problem at all.

Once booted (there will be no networking upon first booting), you use "ceni" from the KMenu > Internet menu to make a network interface. It should show both an eth0 and a wlan0 possibility, and of course you want to highlight the wlan0. Tab through the choices to "OK" and then it should make the interface. There will be a "double monitor" network icon that pops up (good old network manager). You can also install wicd if you wish, even on the Live CD instance, and then use it, and AFAIK it is not necessary to rip out network manager like you do for Kubuntu.

The reason I would do this is that I have installed aptosid on two very different netbooks with wireless with no problems, and I keep reading these painful posts about wireless problems, especially with 11.04, so I'm thinking you might be able to have a KDE desktop, and maybe get that fancy USB wireless system working, and dispense with this pain. So if it works well in Live CD mode, then you can decide whether to go ahead with full installation, and get on with life.

Comment

I did it! I actually fixed it! And there were you dibl trying to convince me to quit :P (seriously though, I probably wouldn't have bothered to push on this far without the help I received on this forum so thanks again )

Basically I decided to try and re-install the drivers (basically what I would have done if this were Windows - not sure why I didn't think to try it in the first place)

I got downloaded the drivers here: http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=2

and followed the instructions here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-...s-adapter.html

This link also looks to provide the same method: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=960642

Saying that I haven't actually rebooted yet........

Comment

Originally posted by grebulator
              I did it! I actually fixed it!
              Yes you did -- and all by yourself, too.

Well, it's good that you were so persistent -- persistence (aka stubborness ) turns out to be a great substitute for actual knowledge.

So, can that Yagi really pull in wireless signals from an impressive distance?

Comment

Yea, when I said I fixed what I actually meant was that I followed someone else's instructions (the other great substitute for knowledge being the internet )

As for danets impressive distance claim it's rather hard to substantiate, I live in a old basement flat (read: thick walls) in a built up area and depending on which directions you point the antenna I can pick up up to around 32 AP's (while my laptop picks up around 4) the distance they are away is impossible to tell, although I would be amazed if their claims turned out to be true. None the less it does seem to be a decent bit of kit.

Comment

Working...
                X