X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Access Kubuntu to shared folders on XP - password request

Hello Users

First, i'm sorry for my english, i hope you can understand my question.

The last time i worked on Ubuntu Lucid, but i want to change to Kubuntu.
    So i have tested Kubuntu, but my home-network does not works.

I have a Desktop PC with XP, folder are shared to acces from network.
    I have a Laptop with Ubuntu/Kubuntu.

So when i am in Ubuntu with Gnome i go to Network, i found my Windows PC, i click on it, i can see all shared folders and access without any password or username. That's what i want

but

When i make the same in Kubuntu (not Ubuntu with installed KDE) i go to Network, i click on my PC, i can see any shared folders, but when i click on any folder i receive a popup to insert username and pasword. Why? I don't have any password on XP. When i don't fill in any and click ok, the popup comes again.

This is my problem. To check i have installed on the same Harddisk an older Version from Kubuntu (8.04) and in this i can access without any problem!

Can anybody help me? I tried to replace de smb.conf file from the older Kubuntu to the newer Kubuntu (10.04), nothin changes, i wrote in it guests= yes, nothing changes.

What can i doo? I want to use the last Kubuntu and not a older version, but its very necessairy that the homenetwork works without problems.

Thanks for answering me

Karin, Greetings from switzerland

Re: Access Kubuntu to shared folders on XP - password request

Yes, it normally asks for your password, it is your linux user password. If you want your window drives to mount at startup that is something different. It can be done, just a little work on your part in a terminal / CLI.

To auto mount an ntfs Windows partition in your /home open a terminal and type:

First: *** Be sure to change user and sda# to match each computer/user ***
    Note: The sda# must match the windows partition you can find this when your computer boots in the listings of boot/grub options.

mkdir /home/user/Windows

sudo su

echo "/dev/sda# /home/user/Windows ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0" >> /etc/fstab

Comment

Re: Access Kubuntu to shared folders on XP - password request

Hallo
      Tanks for your answer, but it is Not my Linux username and pasword i tried it in the last day.

Please how can i make working it?

Comment

Working...
      X