This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPC: Port mapper failure

I'm having a hard time with the mysteries of RPCs. Running kubuntu 10.04, on three different x86 platforms.

On each, we have a server program "lpm" running as a service at boot. Other client programs send RPCs to it (via UDP).

-- On one box, the RPC communication works fine.
    -- On another, it works at first but then if lpm is stopped/started, it no longer works; in fact lpm itself reports "Address already in use (98)" to /dev/console.
    -- On third box (a virtual guest on a Windows 7 host), I cannot get the RPCs to work at all.

In the third case:
    Portmap seems to be running fine, access to it is open in /etc/hosts.allow. lpm has a PID, shows up in the "service --status-all" listing, and has registered itself with the rpc server, the third line in this listing:

> rpcinfo -p
    program vers proto port
    100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    1107714020 1 udp 740
    >

Here is simplest-case failure, using rpcinfo to send an rpc request to lpm:

> rpcinfo -u ProBook-kubuntu 1107714020
    rpcinfo: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Unable to receive
    program 1107714020 is not available
    >

One of our own client programs gives the same error when trying to talk to lpm. Another gives "Address already in use (98)".

What other tools can I use to trace this failure? What piece of configuration am I missing?

And, if there's any cohesive doc on working with RPCs in kubuntu/ubuntu, I'd love a reference!

Thank you.
Working...
X