This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to: Automount a Dlink NAS folder(s) share on a network

Ok, so I've loved me some Kubuntu! My only complaint is the only program that would access my NAS, a Dlink DNS-321 with 2 TB of storage was Dolphin. I use it for our pictures (50 GB currently) and my music (25 GB). All other KDE/Kubuntu programs wouldn't access the NAS no matter what I tried or how I tried to point them too it.

I've spent hours and hours and hours pouring through the fourms here and just general Google searches and all the things I tried didn't work at all. I finally started getting inventive by changing the syntax of the commands and finally found something that works for me.

My mount directory right now is /mnt/dlink

the address of what I've been wanting to mount is //192.168.0.100/Volume_1

I'm not really sure how I found the //192.168.0.100/Volume_1 address, I have a Dolphin folder that list the address as smb://192.168.0.100/volume_1/, but it's only one folder (a "shortcut" folder at that). I "knew" the ip because I set it up, and I knew the folder name of root on the NAS, but it's only list on that one folder and no where else, and it's the only one that works.

I tried different variations of addressing it like smb://dlinkstorage/Volume_1/ with and without the smb: and none of that ever worked. That is how Samba and Dolphin address it. Just that and all it's variations just flat out wouldn't work.

I have my Dlink router, a DIR-655, set to manually assign the NAS the 192.168.0.100 address, and i have the DNS-321 set to grab that address, so it never changes (makes thing easier, otherwise it used DHCP and likes to change it every so often)

Ok, so my test mount, after stripping down the code I found around the internet till it worked was:

sudo mount //192.168.0.100/volume_1/ /mnt/dlink

So as you can see I used my NAS address (//192.168.0.100/volume_1/) followed but the mount location (/mnt/dlink) and it just plain worked. I had to strip out all the -t and -o stuff I found in all the post all over the internet to get it to work, otherwise it just wouldn't work at all. Simply saved my day, I've been working on this for 4-5 months. The above worked, and showed me I had the right addresses and that it WOULD work. So next was to make it automount on boot, that was easy once I got the above to work.

Simply open Kate (for us Kubuntu users) with:

gksudo kate

(I'm sure you can use any editor that will allow you to open and edit the file.)

then open the file "/etc/fstab". It is a file within /etc not a directory, so look in the files.

and I pasted in:

//192.168.0.100/volume_1/ /mnt/dlink cifs guest,uid=1000,iocharset=utf8,codepage=unicode,uni code 0 0

At the bottom of the file. Then hit enter once, and saved the file.

It works like a charm!!! Works perfect!

This should work for anyone using the Dlink NAS and may work for others as well. However I do have no password or logon, so if your share is protected you will have to modify the above.

If you have more questions about the automount commands above please read the link below, this is where I got my info from.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently
    My Homesite<br />My Blog
Working...
X