This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still in need of help with EVDO modem!!

I am using ubuntu 10.04, i somehow managed to get my evdo modem to work and connect to the internet, but it keeps on disconnecting after a few minutes, i have been looking for a solution for quite some time and i must say its really frustrating! this is the only issue thats keeping from switching to linux.

i keep on getting the error, ppp demon died, modem hung up the phone (exit code =16)
    i have looked every where on google but sadly no one has a solid solution, i tried changing options in "/etc/ppp/options" but that didnt work, i am quite frankly out of ideas right now, I am a new user of linux and have done everything i could think up of. please tell me what i need to do to get around this problem?

thanks-

Re: Still in need of help with EVDO modem!!

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0283#msg240283 which is in this thread.

This is what I used:

echo options iwlagn swcrypto=1 >> /etc/modprobe.d/options

I got a warning saying that config files not ending in ".conf" will be ignored in future releases, so I created a copy of "options" as "options.config". Substitute your wireless driver kernel module name.

Some reported that this command worked for them:
    options iwlagn disable_hw_scan=1 swcrypto50=1 swcrypto=1
    so I am keeping it in the file but commented out, in case the first option doesn't work.

I used to get disconnects 3 or 4 times per hour, but now, over the last 8 days, I've probably gotten just a handful, and it quickly automatically reconnects itself without any action on my part.

It's an amazing problem. The wireless router stays up, but the cable modem power cycles. In checking the Internet I see that many makes of cable modems have the problem and it affects Linux, Apple and Windows users alike. While not specifically, I believe, a bug caused by Linux, the aforementioned bug report is an example of Linux developers trying to work around something that is obviously not their fault.

What I think we are seeing is an Internet side modem hack attack problem. Attempts to hijack the cable modem end up causing it to power cycle. Anyway, that's my guess.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

thank you for the response I am going to try and make sense out of it and see what i can do

btw just wanted to know, after my connection gets terminated with the "exit code =16" error, i no longer see ttyUSB0 after i do cd /dev and ls, is that normal?

Comment

Yes. It is a transient device socket, created when needed, removed when the device is unplugged. For example, when I plug my EarthMate GPS receiver into a USB port and run the following script:
        #!/bin/bash
        # make sure Earthmate LT-20 is plugged into USB port closest to front of laptop
        #this is the "by-path" connection: /dev/serial/by-path/pci-0000\:00\:1d.0-usb-0\:1\:1.0-port0
        #the ttyUSB0 device is created automatically

sudo gpsd -b /dev/ttyUSB0
        navit
        the connection of the gps daemon, gpsd, to /dev/ttyUSB0 is possible because the USB automouting feature in Kubuntu creates that socket when I plug in the GPS device. What /dev/ttyUSBx is created depends on which USB socket is used.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X