X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchsmart 300 Wireless issues

Just bought a Touchsmart 300 and am having issues getting
    the wireless unit to work. (Which under Win 7-64 works just fine... ;<)

Card is a RaLink 3092. (Not a 3090)
    OS is 10.04 - 64 and I have both 21 and 24 available in GRUB.

At first the wireless didn't show up at all. After activating the ppa for the 3090
    card and some other WICD manipulations I was able to see my wireless network.
    However when attempting to connect, I would get a setting up message and then a complete freeze. Only recourse was a power off reset.

I confirmed that knetwork-manager is not installed.

I am running WICD 1.7 and see where another poster suggested reverting back to 1.6. Not sure how as synaptic only shows 1.7.

I know I can download 1.6 from the repositories but then do I just do sudo apt-get remove WICD and then reinstall "6"?

Also other strange observances.
    If I boot 21, the wireless card shows up as wlan0. I killed all encryption on my router to make life simpler for troubleshooting. When I attempt to connect WICD returns a "Bad Password" response. (Strange since encryption is turned off and the network is identified as "unsecured".) If I leave the security enabled (WPA) I always get a "Bad Password" even though the correct password phrase is entered.

If I boot 24, the card magically changes to ra0 and the system locks up if I try to connect. I didn't try turning off the security for the testing with version 24.

My other Touchsmart (846) uses the RaLink 2080 and it is working fine. This is why all the frustration. (It too suffered from the change between 9 and 10 with the wlan0 - ra0 strangeness)

I am setting this new Touchsmart up for my mom and it would be nice to be able to show her that she isn't tied to the computer desk.

Wired connections work fine.

FYI for other touchsmart users, out of the box touchscreen doesn't work and the speakers don't work. I haven't tried the fixes I installed for the 846 to see if they will also work on the 300. If they do, I'll post the info here.

Lee

Re: Touchsmart 300 Wireless issues

Update:
    I removed WICD and rebooted. I then installed WICD version 6 and no joy.
    I also killed all the security on my router and I get a complete lock up when
    attempting to use the wireless.

Also I confirmed the fix for my Touchsmart 846 speaker sounds is the same for the 300. Real easy.
    Just add the following line to the alsa-base.conf
    options snd-hda-intel model=mobile

Screen touch is next issue...

Comment

Working...
    X