X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WG111v3 torment in Lucid

Hi everyone!

I'm fighting with my wireless adapter over 6 months now and I always loose. The battle begun when I updated my Lucid to kernel 2.6.32-22. Since then my wireless WG111v3 USB adapter is unreliable; sometimes is operational and sometimes not - there is no logical pattern to predict this. Mostly a reboot is required to get it work but sometimes 2 or 3 reboots in a row.

So here's what it looks like when it's not working:

Code:
    # sudo ifconfig wlan0 up
    SIOCSIFFLAGS: Unknown error 123
    dmesg output regarding adapter:

Code:
    phy0: hwaddr 00:1e:2a:xx:xx:xx, RTL8187BvE V0 + rtl8225z2, rfkill mask 2
    rtl8187: wireless switch is off
    Note that wireless switch thing is OFF, but my adapter has no switch of any kind on it.
    So I found out that kernels above 2.6.32-21 include rfkill as a component that controls wireless adapters state, but mostly for laptops. Then I checked some rfkill commands and tried:

Code:
    # rfkill list
    0: wlan0
    Soft blocked: No 
    Hard blocked: Yes
    I assume that this is that 'rfkill mask 2' in dmesg output - binary bits: soft(0) hard(1) = 2. My guess is that mask should be 0. Then I tried:

Code:
    # sudo rfkill unblock 0
    Unfortunately that does nothing; wlan0 is still Hard blocked. If I use udevadm monitor with command above I get:

Code:
    KERNEL[1273271499.836087] change  /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill0 (rfkill)
    UDEV [1273271499.836347] change  /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-2/2-2:1.0/ieee80211/phy0/rfkill0 (rfkill)
    Is that where is the problem, ie. the adapter is unblocked(KERNEL) then blocked(UDEV) again?

When adapter is not blocked by rfkill, if I unplug it and then plug it in again it gets blocked and therefore is unusable.

Some senior linux users said that this could be a kernel bug and only a kernel recompilation will fix but that is beyond my abilities.
    I hoped that kernel developers would be aware of that problem and had it fixed in kernel 2.6.32-23 but the problem still persists. Maybe it's not the kernel bug then. Maybe it can be solved by a simple change of one line in some config file, I don't know.

I started to learn linux 8 months ago so I'm very green and all my resource of knowledge is from internet, which is offlimits if my adapter is not working.
    And by saying that I beg for tolerance If I missed to write something crucial.

Thanks.

Re: WG111v3 torment in Lucid

Until you get this resolved, just boot using the previous kernel.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      Until you get this resolved, just boot using the previous kernel.
      Yeah, or even better: I can connect online via VMWare->WinXp

Just updated to kernel 2.6.32-24 but it's the same old story again ....

I can't stop to wonder; where is, in fact, the problem?

Comment

Have you tried the ndiswrapper method?
        http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...hlight=wg111v3

I've modified it a bit:
        open a konsole
        sudo su -
        apt-get install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
        wget http://www.avengergear.com/upload/WG111v3.tar.bz2
        tar xvvf WG111v3.tar.bz2
        ndiswrapper -i ../WG111/WG111v3.inf
        modprobe ndiswrapper
        ndiswrapper -m
        depmod -a
        exit
        You may have to reboot if the wireless doesn't connect.

You can also download the WG111v3.inf and WG111v3.sys files from here.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Have you tried the ndiswrapper method?
          No, not yet! I wanted to leave that as a last option cause I'm not sure if that's a driver problem. Besides I've read on ubuntu forums that distros 9.10 and above support my adapter 'out of the box'.
          But if all else fails, I will surely give it a try.

Thanx.

Comment

Working...
          X