This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ubuntu connects but Kubuntu won't?

I have been running Ubuntu (gnome) for about a year now and last night decided to give the KDE desktop a try. I must say that I like the interface much better than gnome but I cannot connect to my wireless network? If I login into gnome, everything works as it alway has but when I log into kde, I have nothing? I have installed wifi radar and it sees my network but it will not connect... What do I need to do in order to get internet access in Kubuntu??

Re: Ubuntu connects but Kubuntu won't?

A lot of Kubuntu user rip out knetwork-manager and install wicd and get a better result.

Comment

Thanks for the response...

I removed knetwork-manager and installed wcid as suggested. At first I thought I was going to be ok as it detected my network and allowed me to enter my password but after trying to connect, it said I was using bad password... this was not the case. I then logged back in under gnome and wcid was causing my connection to constantly connect and disconnect?? So, I uninstalled wcid and all is back to normal on the gnome front... Any other suggestions?? I am quite surprised at this, as Ubuntu seems to handle network connections quite well...

Comment

In Kubuntu you can still use network-manager-gnome
        I prefer network-manager-gnome over wicd because I use mobile broadband

Install network-manager-gnome within KPackageKit.
        Open terminal:
        Code:
        killall knetworkmanager
        Close terminal
        Run (alt+f2) nm-applet
        Restart computer. On reload kde notified me that network manager was running, did I want to start KNetwork Manager?
        Choose no and you will not be using KnetworkManager anymore.

I'm not sure why the gnome manager works better, but it does.
        This should solve your issues.

Anadox
        HP Pavilion dv6000 | AMD Turion 64 x2 2Ghz | HDD Toshiba 250 GiB<br />Wireless- Antheros AR5001<br />Dual Boot: Kubuntu 10.4 | Kubuntu 8.10 (bt4)

Comment

Thanks anadox402!

That took care of it.. but I am having to run nm-applet every time I login?

Is there away to set this to start automatically?

Comment

Followed the instructions found here and everything is ok...

http://www.uluga.ubuntuforums.org/sh....php?p=7814713

Thanks again for the help...

Comment

Originally posted by anadox402

Install network-manager-gnome within KPackageKit.
              How do I do this? Still new to Kubuntu. The KDE network manager will not play nice with either the integrated WiFi or the Belkin N (F5D8013) card.

Comment

Pardon my jumping in.
                How do I do this? Still new to Kubuntu. The KDE network manager will not play nice with either the integrated WiFi or the Belkin N
                Kpackagekit is a pain and a work in process.

A few here will agree that synaptic is the better GUI package manger.
                To get synaptic:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install synaptic
                copy / paste to a terminal.

More on synaptic:
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticHowto

To install network-manager-gnome from a terminal:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install network-manager-gnome
                it should also install from a terminal:
                mobile-broadband-provider-info
                which will give:
                This package contains database of service provider specific settings of mobile
                broadband providers in different countries. Through Network Manager thus making
                it easy for users to choose their mobile broadband service provider.
                if it does not install automatically, do from a terminal:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install mobile-broadband-provider-info
                Of course you do it all in one go:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install synaptic network-manager-gnome mobile-broadband-provider-info
                again copy/paste.

Otherwise you can use synaptic to search and install all of the above.

either way, enjoy
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a shot. I've used the terminal enough that I'm comfortable with it. I'm not worried about mobile broadband, I just need it to connecto to my router at home.

Comment

Does Kubuntu not like WPA2?

Comment

i had "exactly" the same problem..
                      but the reason was wicd 1.7
                      wicd is ALOT better than knm.. coz knm gets disconnected very frequently when connected to wifi.
                      the simple solution is to install wicd 1.6 it can be found here:
                      http://packages.debian.org/lenny-bac.../wicd/download

i hope it solves ur problem..
                      asus A52N
                      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I definitely agree with Wicd.

The problem is wireless, not wired, connections.

Hopefully you have a wire somewhere to plug in. Then you can do all the networking.

With my laptop plugged into a wired outlet, I personally dumped Network-Manager-KDE (and autoremoved the associated components) then installed Wicd Network Manager:

sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde
                        sudo reboot
                        sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install wicd

Then everything worked for me.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

I had the same problem, may be with a twist: I could connect to my home network, but no other networks in kubuntu, but I could connect everywhere in ubuntu. Based on some of the suggestions, I had an idea and it worked. I think it is the simplest of all the suggestions:

It seems that the problem is with

plasma-widget-networkmanagent

Just uninstall it and then run "nm". It worked like a charm, nothing else to do.

I am actually guessing that I had connected to my home network before installing the plasma widget and so nm remembered the correct way and the plasma-widget did not play in connecting there....

-Krampusz

Comment

Originally posted by dkirk
                            I have been running Ubuntu (gnome) for about a year now and last night decided to give the KDE desktop a try. I must say that I like the interface much better than gnome but I cannot connect to my wireless network? If I login into gnome, everything works as it alway has but when I log into kde, I have nothing? I have installed wifi radar and it sees my network but it will not connect... What do I need to do in order to get internet access in Kubuntu??

I have the same problems. I like KDE better but Gnome works better. It's Verison Mobile Broadband in my case with the USB Novatel 760 modem. After reading all the give and take and realizing that I have no clue as to how to install a package in Kubuntu unless it is on line I have decided to simply go back to Ubuntu and then download all the KDE stuff and just select that desktop with booting.

Why, I wonder, should such critical components in the two versions not be standardized with preference to the one that actually works? It's not like it's proprietary software of anything is it? If something doesn't work get rid of it in favor of something that does. Easy.

FYI I have no network. Just one single user box.

Comment

Working...
                            X