X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless network on my Toshiba Satelite Pro M30 Laptop

Hi all,

I have recently installed Kubuntu netbook (Lucid Lynx) on the above mentioned notebook.
    All is working just fine, except for the wireless conection.

The notebook sees the wireless network and can also identify it (SSID, MAC address, etc)
    Maybe I am missing something but it does not connect.

The securety used is WPA2-PSK, maybe this can be a problem.

If any one can point me towards a solution.

Thanx
    Thanx<br />Ryno<br /><br />Os = Kubuntu 9.10, Kde 4 dual boot with Win Xp<br />Linux user # 471903<br />Kubuntu user # 22225<br /><br />If you can see yourself as God does than you will have no limitations.

Re: Wireless network on my Toshiba Satelite Pro M30 Notebook

Originally posted by ryno
    The securety used is WPA2-PSK, maybe this can be a problem.
    Mine isn't a Notebook, but wireless on my Toshiba laptop works just fine. It did with KNetworkManager, but I dumped that for Wicd. I am, however, running WPA2 Personal AES on my router. Wicd reflects WPA 1/2 (Passphrase) for the encryption.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Snowhog: Sorry, This is a laptop, not a notebook, my mistake!!!
      Can it do WPA@-PSK?
      Thanx<br />Ryno<br /><br />Os = Kubuntu 9.10, Kde 4 dual boot with Win Xp<br />Linux user # 471903<br />Kubuntu user # 22225<br /><br />If you can see yourself as God does than you will have no limitations.

Comment

Edited my reply to reflect what type of encryption I'm using for my wireless connection in Wicd: WPA 1/2 (Passphrase). I'm assuming you are using KNetworkManager, so check the encryption settings for your wireless connection and see if this is available. Also, I'm assuming you are using a router, so check the wireless security / encryption settings for it as well, and if WPA2 Personal AES is offered, change to it.

Comment

Yes I'm using knetworkmanager My wireless router is set to use WPA-PSK and the following securety protocalls is available on the laptop:
          LEAP
          Dynamic WEP (802.1x
          WEP
          WPA/WPA2 Personal
          WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

I have set it to WPA/WPA2 Personal

Comment

Originally posted by ryno
            My wireless router is set to use WPA-PSK
            Does your router support WPA2 Personal AES?

Comment

Nope, just a correction it is setup to use WPA2-PSK
              Something interesting that i found when I used the comand ifconfig is that it seems as if the adapter is set to use inet6.
              It does not have your regular IP address as I'm used to.

Comment

You are not seeing anything wrong. While operating on my wireless connection, ifconfig shows, for that connection (wlan0):
                Code:
                wlan0   Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:e3:aa:4c:ac 
                     inet addr:192.168.31.131 Bcast:192.168.31.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
                     inet6 addr: fe80::216:e3ff:feaa:4cac/64 Scope:Link
                     UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                     RX packets:81 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                     TX packets:85 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                     collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000 
                     RX bytes:103022 (103.0 KB) TX bytes:12773 (12.7 KB)

Comment

My setup does not have the second line
                  inet addr:192.168.31.131 Bcast:192.168.31.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
                  as yours have, it only has the first, third and the rest as your config.

Comment

The second line is your router. If ifconfig doesn't report it, then you aren't seeing the router.

What does your /etc/network/interfaces file contain? It should show:
                    auto lo
                    iface lo inet loopback

Comment

Re: Wireless network on my Toshiba Satelite Pro M30 Laptop

I have checked the file and it is like yours, what about the securety protocal?

Comment

You stated in the initial post that "The notebook sees the wireless network and can also identify it (SSID, MAC address, etc)". I'm assuming that you mean KNetworkManager actually shows you your wireless connection, but when you select it, it doesn't connect.

Have you verified that you typed in the WPA Shared Key correctly? Did you do so by checking the KNetworkManager option to show you what you are typing, as apposed to showing you the black dots?

Comment

Yip done that, will the WPA/WPA2 Personal work in the place of WPA2-PSK?

Comment

On the laptop (KnetworkManager) you want to use WPA/WPA2 Personal for encryption.
                            On the router, in the wireless settings, you want to use:

Security Mode: WPA2 Personal
                            WPA Algorithms (or encryption): AES

These are what I have my router (Linksys) wireless settings set to, and what Wicd has for encryption. Wireless works.

Comment

I have a DI-624 D-Link wireless router
                              Securety options:
                              WEP
                              WPA
                              WPA2
                              With PSK (personal mode) or EAS (Extensible Authentication Protocol)

What should the wireless mode be:
                              Ad hoc or
                              infrastructure
                              And the MTU setting:
                              Mine is set to 1500

Comment

Working...
                              X