This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[solved] knetworkmanager showing unmanaged

I am still new to Kubuntu. That being said every time I boot and log in, knetworkmanager is giving me the "unmanaged" code when I hover over the icon in my system tray and when I click on it I get "network management disabled". I have tried restarting knetworkmanager to no avail. It was working earlier w/o issue. I have a bcm4318 wireless device but I have loaded the b43 module and had no problems w/ it in the past.

Thanx in advance for the help,
    Roman

Re: knetworkmanager showing unmanaged

knetworkmanager has problems. I wish the KDE developers would replace it with wicd.
    I would suggest trying GreyGeeks 1st suggestion to one of my posts.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3112334.0
    Dell Inspiron 531/AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 4GB RAM/GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Kubuntu 16.04
    "I have a problem with the fact that they just make really 3rd rate products." Steve Jobs on Microsoft. From “Triumph of the Nerds"

Comment

Re: knetworkmanager showing unmanaged

Fixed by reinstalling then installing wicd FIRST then uninstalling knetworkmanager.
      Roman

Comment

Re: [solved] knetworkmanager showing unmanaged

Thanks this is probably stellar advice... BUT... it assumes one has a working internet connection. wicd is not on the live session distro, hence no way to load it before attempting to remove the onery knetworkmanager. argh!!!!! > or did I miss something...?
        Any other suggestions?

just reloaded 10.04, thanks anyway

Comment

The problem is wireless, not wired, connections.

Hopefully you have a wire somewhere to plug in. Then you can do all the networking.

With my laptop plugged into a wired outlet, I personally dumped Network-Manager-KDE (and autoremoved the associated components) then installed Wicd Network Manager:

sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde
          sudo reboot
          sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install wicd

Then everything worked for me.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
          and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
            No, the problem also is that Knetworkmanager (network-manager-kde) doesn't work well with wired connections either >
            Dsl support, for instance, is completely broken, it never worked.
            Easiest solution when you have no internet connection at all, which also preserves your sanity, is installing ubuntu (so you have the Gnome network manager which works properly) and then install kde-full on top of it.
            Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Yuri sss
              Originally posted by perspectoff
              No, the problem also is that Knetworkmanager (network-manager-kde) doesn't work well with wired connections either >
              Dsl support, for instance, is completely broken, it never worked.
              Easiest solution when you have no internet connection at all, which also preserves your sanity, is installing ubuntu (so you have the Gnome network manager which works properly) and then install kde-full on top of it.
              Brilliant How? I am stuck dsl wont work although the wired connection works to my modem (static ip) I cannot connect,Dsl Just does nothing. Or should I try installing wicd. A solved how to for both would be the ideal answer.

Comment

Working...
              X