Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing wired connection by creating an adhoc wireless network in KUbuntu 10.04

Hello,

Im using KUbuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx). Wifi worked out of the box. However,I connect to the Internet using a wired connection. I would like to be able to share my wired internet connection with a windows machine by creating an adhoc wireless network.
    I remember that in Ubuntu, it was really simple to do that as we could create an adhoc wireless network by right clicking on the Network Manager applet and creating a new wireless network.
    How can i do something like that on KUbuntu 10.04 ?

Please help.
    Thank You

Re: Sharing wired connection by creating an adhoc wireless network in KUbuntu 10.04

Unless you've changed it, the default network manager is KNetworkManager. Right mouse on the icon in the system tray and chose "connect to other networks". A dialog will appear listing the existing access points and two other options: "Connect to Other Network with Wireless 802.11..." and "New Ad-Hoc Network".

Have fun!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: Sharing wired connection by creating an adhoc wireless network in KUbuntu 10.04

Thanks for the reply GreyGeek. I right clicked on the icon in the system tray (it looks like a plug with a green header). But the options i have are :
      1. Auto eth0 (Active)
      2. Enable wireless (This is checked)
      3. Manage Connections

I couldnt find a "connect to other networks" option. I havent changed anything myself. What could be going wrong here ?

Comment

Are you using knetworkmanager?

Here is the dialog I am referring to:
        Attached Files
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Nopes, i dont get that dialog . You can see the icon in the system tray on which i right clicked and the popup i got in the following image:
          http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/230/networkek.png
          Am i using knetworkmanager ?.

Comment

Originally posted by rzs
            Am i using knetworkmanager ?.
            If you are then you'll notice a stylized combination of "n" and "m" in the upper left corner of the dialog. Actually, it looks like a blue "m".

Comment

If I try to create an ad-hoc network by following your tutorial, nothing happens when I click 'New ad-hoc network'. Several people report this in various forums. Can someone confirm that creating an ad-hoc network is currently impossible in Knetworkmanager?

Does anyone know if it possible at all in Wicd?

Valerio

Comment

If you open the wicd GUI you'll see, above the listed AP, a menu option called "network". Left click on it and two other menu options appear:
                1) Create an ad-hoc network
                2) Find a hidden network

Comment

Then what would you do after creating a new ad-hoc network?
                  I gave an SSID, set the DHCP to manage my IPs instead of manually doing it, then set the security to none.. I couldn't see the new access point i created in the other PC !

Can you help please?
                  I want to CREATE an access point and let the other see it and access it with an internet connection sharing..
                  Pleaaaaaaaaaaaase I need it urgently

Comment

First off, in the PM you sent me (which you should not do because others may need the answer to this question) you stated that you have BOTH KNetworkManager AND wicd installed. Those two network mangers conflict with each other. Remove KNetworkManger completely. First, make sure that the following programs are installed:
                    wicd
                    wicd-daemon
                    wicd-gtk
                    python-notify
                    python-wicd

then remove the following programs (or those that are installed):
                    knm-runtime
                    network-manager
                    network-manager-kde
                    network-manager-gnome
                    network-manager-openvpn
                    network-manager-pptp
                    network-manager-vpnc

and then reboot.

In order to connect two computers together with an ad-hoc connection BOTH must be setup as ad-hoc. Also, they BOTH must be set on the SAME channel number, and they BOTH must use the SAME SSID (which is not the connection name). And, make sure your connection is manually set, and not not done with DHCP.

Or, instead of using a common SSID you can use the MAC address of the other computer, and the other computer can use your MAC address as its ap. That's how the Russian spys did it:

iwconfig wlan0 ap 01:CA:FF:EE:BA:BE

Then, with both PCs setup this way, you can open Dolphin and click on the "Network" icon in the left panel. There you will see the machine name of the other PC and you can navigate it like it was a directory on your machine, even though it is remote.

substituting your device name for wlan0 and the MAC address ( "access point" (ap)) of the other PC for the example MAC address above.

Comment

When I was setting up my wireless network I never could get it to work when mode was set to ad-hoc. Once I set it to infrastructure it has worked with no problems.

I'm using a D-Link WBA-2310 wireless router and using KNetworkManger

However I cannot get either ad-hoc or infrastructure to work at work with our wireless for more than a minute. The only thing I can get from our IT is it is a consumer grade wireless router.

BTW: We are allowed to access the wireless during breaks and lunch.
                      Colyn

Comment

Here's how to setup an ad-hoc network using wicd.

First, apparently the wicd gui's menu option: Network --> Create Ad Hoc Network, connects an IP address to the ad-hoc essid name, but the interface busy wheel keeps on spinning and never finishes. If you let it spin and open a konsole and issue "sudo iwconfig wlan0" (or what ever your wireless name is), you'll see an IP address assigned to your essid name. When you click the cancel to recover control of the gui the IP address is canceled.

So, on PC A, open a konsole and issue "sudo su -" to create a root konsole.

In the root konsole issue:

wicd-curses

which opens a console version of wicd. Disconnect any existing connection.

Hold Shft + O (capital O, not zero) and a configuration dialog will pop up. In the essid is "My_AdHoc_Network". Change it to any name you want. I'll use:
                        myadhoc
                        then accept the IP address that is offered:
                        and then set the channel to some value:
                        Tab down to "OK" and press enter. After a couple seconds a green line should appear in the access point listings showing "myadhoc", "unsecured", a BSSID, the MODE and the CHNL (3).

Go to PC B and open a root konsole and run wicd-curses. Use Shft + O again and in the essid name enter the SAME ESSID NAME as in PC A:
                        myadhoc
                        Change the IP address proffered to:
                        which is and MUST BE DIFFERENT from PC A.
                        Tab to the channel and enter the same channel number as you entered in PC A.

Tab down to "OK" and hit Enter.

That's it.

When you open Dolphin on A or B and click on the Network icon in the left panel you'll see both a listing for both PC A and PC B. Don't expect to be able to open a browser on A and browse on B unless you've installed Apache on B and set up some web pages. Don't expect to FTP from A into B unless you've set up an wu-ftpd daemon on B that will allow an FTP login from A.

I don't run KNetworkManager but I've read on the Internet that can't or doesn't do well setting up an ad-hoc connection, but someone who runs it can step in here and confirm or deny.

I've also read that some DLink wireless routers can't create ad-hoc connections.

A search of "linux ad-hoc network" with Google will fill you in.

Comment

Ok, but how can I share a wireless connection by creating an adhoc wireless network or turning a computer into a hotspot?

Comment

Hi,

Even I have a problem with ad-hoc wireless network in Ubuntu hence posting mu query here.

I have a wired Internet connection using which I want to connect 2 laptops running Ubuntu. One laptop has Ubuntu 11.04 while other needs to have 9.04. On the one running 11.04, I created a ad-hoc network and I was able to connect the 9.04 laptop to that ad-hoc network. However, I'm unable to do vice-versa. Can I please have some advice on this?

Comment

Working...
                            X