Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless password rejected after Lucid upgrade (using wicd)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless password rejected after Lucid upgrade (using wicd)

After the Lucid upgrade and some other follow-on patching, I've reached the state where my wireless network is detected and has plenty of signal strength. But when I attempt to connect using wicd, I get a "Bad Password" message. I'm using WPA/PSK, which I think translates into WPA1/2 in the connection properties. I've rechecked the router's password, which is the same as it was under Karmic. I'm running on an Acer laptop with the Atheros chipset, if that's relevant. And after dual-booting into Windows, I can connect using Windows (and the same password, of course).

How can I get past this?

Re: Wireless password rejected after Lucid upgrade (using wicd)

I had the same problem. I discovered that network-manager somehow got reinstalled. After removing that, wicd started working normally again.

Comment

Success!!

I uninstalled Network Manager as you suggested and tried reconnecting again through wicd. The connection came up right away. Thank you so, so much, Detonate! That information should be displayed in huge lights and shouted from the rooftops. I don't understand how the Kubuntu powers that be continue to treat Network Manager as the preferred networking solution when it simply fails -- and fails mysteriously -- for a great many of the wireless laptops out there.

Comment

Re: Wireless password rejected after Lucid upgrade (using wicd)

Hear hear! I agree.

Network Manager was written for RedHat, not Debian.

Wicd is sooo much better.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
        and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Working...
        X