Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wicd not recognizing my Password or able to Get IP Address on unsecured Network

Hi All,
    I am having similar problems, I have wicd installed, I have manually uninstalled kNetwork manager and moved wicd to the top of the backend list. All the same I am still getting a "bad password" error message when I try to log on. (and yes, I've checked my password) I was running 9.04 persistently off of a USB drive, but for some reason things aren't so easy with 10.04.

I'm a total newbie to all this so any support would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Re: [Solved] Wicd not recognizing my password

Follow the link in SteveTaylor's reply.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wicd not recognizing my password

Hi All,
      Since installing Kubuntu 10.04 on my dell e6400 I can't get my wireless connection to work. I have wicd installed, I have manually uninstalled kNetwork manager and moved wicd to the top of the backend list.

All the same I am getting a "bad password" error message when I try to log on. (and yes, I've checked my password) I was running 9.04 persistently off of a USB drive, but for some reason things aren't so easy with 10.04.

This has come up in this post as well: http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3111340.0 but I seem to have done everything mentioned there and it hasn't helped.

I'm a total newbie to all this so any support would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Re: Wicd not recognizing my password

Just another bit of information: I tried connecting to unsecured public network this morning. After about a minute I got the message "Connection Failed: Unable to Get IP Address" so the problem seem to run deeper than just the password issue.

I also forgot to mention that I've got the broadcom sta driver installed, I had tried with the earlier driver but that didn't help.

so there you go. Does anyone have any ideas?

(and thanks snowhog for correcting my crossposting - like I said, I'm new to all this)

Comment

Re: Wicd not recognizing my Password or able to Get IP Address on unsecured Network

You may want to check that the wireless card setting in WICD didn't change. Mine was set to ra0 under 9 but it changed to wlan0 under 10. Until I manually changed it I couldn't get onto my network.

Another item I discovered. If I turn off the SSID broadcast of my Netgear router, WICD will not connect. I get the bad password message. Turn SSID back on and then the system works. which shows that the password is correct.

Comment

Re: Wicd not recognizing my Password or able to Get IP Address on unsecured Network

I had the same problem. WICD kept returning "Bad Password". Finally figured out that network-manage was still installed. I thought it had been removed. But the upgrade reinstalled it. So run a

Code:
            sudo apt-get purge network-manager
            in a terminal just to be sure it has absolutely been uninstalled.

After doing that, wicd started working OK for me.

Comment

Thanks Detonate,
              I had tried that as well. Strange. I'm now running Ubuntu 10.04 and that seems to be working fine. I'd really rather have the K desktop though, so I think I may end up paying for canonical support to get it all set up and running.

I'll post an update once it's all done.

Comment

I have the same problem,with the Broadcom 4318 in my HP laptop, I can connect to my secured wireless network at my home without a problem. but I cannot connect at the coffee shop which is unsecured network, tried all the different setting, but still says cannot get IP address, anybody have any ideas on why it will not connect to an unsecured network, could it be a wallet issue looking for a password??

Comment

Originally posted by slk230
                  Another item I discovered. If I turn off the SSID broadcast of my Netgear router, WICD will not connect. I get the bad password message. Turn SSID back on and then the system works. which shows that the password is correct.
                  Known bug in wicd. Although it appears the option to connect to a hidden network is available that option works not at all.

Truthfully, there's not much to be gained by hiding an SSID because anybody with the proper tools can sniff it out anyway.

I work for the federal government and they provide a Comcast connection for untrusted machines like my netbook but the WLAN has a hidden SSID just so everyone within range won't try to connect to it. wicd absolutely will not connect so I have to script wpa_supplicant, which works just fine and isn't real hard to do. Made a launcher for my little script and now all I have to do is run the launcher, feed the terminal window my superuser password and it connects every time.
                  we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                  -- anais nin

Comment

I was having "bad password" problems with WICD, too. I found that uninstalling knetwork-manager did not remove all the backend components, which apparently were interfering with WICD. I did a search for all packages with "network-manager" in the name, found three packages still installed, and removed them. After that, WICD was easily able to connect to my WPA-secured network.

Comment

i had that problem.
                      the problem is with wicd 1.7.* version.
                      just download wicd 1.6 from http://packages.debian.org/lenny-bac.../wicd/download
                      install this version. its painless.. and would rectify that bad password problem.
                      asus A52N
                      Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
                      AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
                      windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

The wicd password problem is because not ALL of the KNetworkManager apps have been removed.

After installing all of the five wicd completely removed the following packages:
                        modemmanager
                        network-manager
                        network-manager-openconnect
                        network-manager-openvpn
                        network-manager-pptp
                        network-manager-vpnc
                        knm-runtime
                        network-manager-kde
                        plasma-widget-networkmanagement

then reboot.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek: u were right.
                          i just installed latest wicd.
                          removed packages which u mentioned. and it works like charm. thanks : )
                          asus A52N

Comment

yes, and, of course, the package is network-manager-kde in Kubuntu:

sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde
                            sudo reboot
                            sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install wicd

Then everything works like a charm. Oh, how I have hated RedHat's Network Manager over the years. Wicd is such a breath of fresh air. Why can't the Ubuntu folks just dump NM?

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
                            and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by perspectoff
                              yes, and, of course, the package is network-manager-kde in Kubuntu:

sudo apt-get remove network-manager-kde
                              sudo reboot
                              sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo apt-get install wicd

Then everything works like a charm. Oh, how I have hated RedHat's Network Manager over the years. Wicd is such a breath of fresh air. Why can't the Ubuntu folks just dump NM?
                              +1

but the only thing missing is.. wicd yet have not implemented the mobile broadband as implemented in networkmanager.(specifically in gnome it is very easy to setup mobile broadband usb connection)
                              asus A52N

Comment

Working...
                              X