Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Re: WICD problems (solved.... sort of?!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi all,

Anyone come across a fix for this?

I use WICD as a network manager. The problem is that i a use post connection script which sends a magic package to wake up my server and mount some shared network resources on it. There is also a pre-disconnection script which unmounts the network shares. IF i enable the scripts the wireless network won't connect, it looks like it hangs. this is typically the last lines of the WICD log:

2010/05/01 17:23:45 :: Autoconnecting...
    2010/05/01 17:23:45 :: No wired connection present, attempting to autoconnect to wireless network
    2010/05/01 17:23:47 :: trying to automatically connect to...Belkin 54g
    2010/05/01 17:23:47 :: Connecting to wireless network Belkin 54g
    2010/05/01 17:23:47 :: Running pre-disconnect script

if i remove the scripts, the wireless connection connects fine, but obviously i have to run my network resource scripts manually.

any thought anyone?

Chris

Re: WICD problems

Was this 'behavior' present before you installed/upgraded to 10.04? Can you post your 'connection script' - with redacted elements - so we can see what you are doing?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

No, when i used jaunty, it worked fine, i've only experienced the problem since upgrading to lucid. I've pasted the post connection script below:

# !bin/bash
      # WakeDaedalus.sh
      # running this script uses the wakeonlan with the correct mac address to wake
      # the Daedalus Home Server, this version also sets the MTU to 1432 on the eht0
      # & wlan0 interfaces

wakeonlan 00:22:68:41:c1:74

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1432
      ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1432

sleep 10

mount -a

exit;

I've also pasted the pre-disconnection script below:

# !bin/bash
      # unmount cifs resources

echo "Unmounting CIFS Resources"

echo "Unmounting Business Resource"
      sudo umount /home/chris/mnt/business

echo "Unmounting Restricted Resource"
      sudo umount /home/chris/mnt/restricted

echo "Unmounting Media Resource"
      sudo umount /mnt/media

echo "Unmounting Chris's Network Space"
      sudo umount /home/chris/mnt/networkspace

echo "Unmounting Delia's Network Space"
      sudo umount /home/delia/mnt/networkspace

echo "All Network Resources Are Now Disconnected"

i used to run this script because in Jaunty, during shutdown, the network would disconnect before unmounting the network shares, which would cause the pc to hang or take 3-years to shutdown. I used to run this script manually before shutting down until i discovered that WCID could run a script automatically before disconnecting and it worked great.

I've since removed the pre-disconnection script and left the post-connection script in place, WICD seems to work correctly without any problems. There must be a slight change in Lucid as well i.e. network shares are unmounted before shutting the network connection, as the pc shuts down fine without running the pre-disconnection script.

so apart from the fact that WICD won't work with a pre-disconnection script which i no longer use i seem to have everything working smoothly in Lucid.
      Although it's academic now, i would still like to know what the problem is?

Comment

Working...
      X