This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CPU AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+

Sadly my hard working system box is showing signs of age and crashing. I am not a hardware person but I think it is the graphics card.
    So I am thinking of getting a new box. Currently I have a AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+ CPU and I want to get the "same" but of course an up to date one. I am lost with all the AMD chips available. Can someone give me a hint of an equivalent I could use as a replacement.

I am going to get a bundle excluding hard drive as this seems to be OK so obviously I need a 64 bit AMD or my Kubuntu will not work.

Thanks very much

Roy

Originally posted by theread View Post
    I am going to get a bundle excluding hard drive as this seems to be OK so obviously I need a 64 bit AMD or my Kubuntu will not work.
    You need a 64bit processor, which almost all of them are these days, but it doesn't have to be an AMD one for your system to work with it.

I don't know AMD that well so cannot recomend one of them.

But I would recomend one of the Intel Sandy Bridge arch ones (i3,i5,i7) if you don't mind going with intel (Note that some of the older iX ones are not on the Sandy Bridge arch).

Comment

What to buy would heavily depend on your budget, and what components you need to be included in the bundle (I'm assuming the bundle is a motherboard, CPU and RAM, and that you'll re-use all the other components in your PC).

I'd echo what james147 has said, in that it doesn't need to be an AMD processor; as long as it's a 64 bit processor then either AMD or Intel will be fine. I'd also second james147's recommendation of Intel's 'Sandy Bridge' processors, but also note that the newer 'Ivy Bridge' chips are now available, and are even better (albeit for a slightly higher price).
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks guys. I have always used AMD so don't want to kick the habit but what you say about Intel is true of course.

What is crazy looking on line this morning that what my supplier calls "bare bones" i.e. case motherboard etc is only £20 more than a bundle - motherboard ram etc.

I wish the prices for other essentials in life were like electronic ones.

Cheers

Roy

Comment

One note of caution regarding 'bare bones' systems - they are fine as the starting point of a low-end budget system, but if you intend to (for example) have 2 or more HDDs and a decent graphics card, you'll often find that you need to shell out extra in order to replace the supplied PSU (which is typically the cheapest PSU the supplier could lay their hands on) with one that has a higher power rating.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by theread View Post
            Thanks guys. I have always used AMD so don't want to kick the habit but what you say about Intel is true of course.

What is crazy looking on line this morning that what my supplier calls "bare bones" i.e. case motherboard etc is only £20 more than a bundle - motherboard ram etc.

I wish the prices for other essentials in life were like electronic ones.

Cheers

Roy
            You can very well go with what you were using first...only some of them would cost a bit high than your previous budget!!

ISDN30

Comment

Working...
            X