This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't map numpad keys in global shortcuts

I can't use numpad keys in global keyboard shortcuts.

I have a Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. When I go into the kde control center to set global shortcuts (for kwin), I have tried to map Meta + KP_7 or Meta + KP_Home to go to desktop 1. When I define the mapping, though, the GUI seems to miss that it's the /keypad/ keys, and instead either defines the mapping as Meta+7 or Meta+Home. When I try to actually test it by typing Meta+KP-Home (or with numlock on, Meta+KP_7), nothing happens.

In the control center under regional and accessibility I have tried selecting the following keyboards:
    * Microsoft Natural
    * Microsoft Natural Keyboard Elite
    * Microsoft Natural Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard 7000
    The exact keyboard I have is not listed, but I doubt choosing the right keyboard layout is the issue.

I run kde version 4.4.2. I couldn't find any useful results by searching google with the following:
    • kde "number pad" numbers in global shortcuts
    • kde numpad numbers in global shortcuts
    • kde numpad in global shortcuts
    • can't use numpad numbers in global shortcuts kde
    "

xev correctly identifies the keys as follows: KP_Home, KP_Up, KP_Prior, KP_Left, KP_Begin, KP_Right, KP_End, KP_Down, KP_Next -- while the kde settings GUI incorrectly detect them as Home, Up, PgUp, Left, Clear, Right, End, Down, and PgDown respectively.

Is there a way to tell KDE (kwin) to recognize the keypad keys as unique from number keys or home/end/etc, when defining keyboard shortcuts? If so, how?

Can anyone confirm whether this affects other keyboards?

Re: Can't map numpad keys in global shortcuts

I'm curious if this is a software issue: I tried a different keyboard and had the same results.

Update/edit: probably a software issue, so I posted this to kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3114455.0

Added by Moderator 2010-11-04:

Posting the same question on more than one board is poor Forum etiquite. I've delete the second post and removed the link to it above.

Post questions in the board you feel is best. If any Moderator believes that it is in the wrong board, one of us will move it for you. Posting the same question in multiple boards only leads to confusion and does not aid in resolving the issue.

Snowhog
    KFN Global Moderator

Comment

Working...
    X