X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thinkpad x100e screen blanking at random times

Okay, I've got an odd one here.
    I've got a thinkpad x100e, running 10.04 with the kubuntu netbook remix desktop. Periodically, right in the middle of things, the mouse will freeze, and the screen will go black. Everything else feels like it's still running, and only a hard power-down/reboot will bring things back. At first, I suspected that maybe it was the thinkpad running a little hot, but even with a fan underneath, this still happens, plus the little plasmoid that documents the temperature shows all the gauges operating below the red zone.

Just from observation, it seems that most of the time, this screen blanking is followed by a notification of a package update, which will show up after I've rebooted and re-established wireless network connectivity.

I know there's a few issues with powersave settings and the wireless card, and this particular model of thinkpad seems to be very finicky about switching power from ac to battery and vice versa, or moving around without first being put to sleep, but it seems that this screen blanking issue comes up in relation to network connectivity, but only in instances where I've put the computer to sleep to move to another room and reawakened it.

I'd like to figure out what's happening to cause this, but the crash handler doesn't come up, and I don't know my way around logs. Any guidance is appreciated.

Here are my specs:

From lspci:
    Code:
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS780M/RS780MN [Radeon HD 3200 Graphics]
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)
    03:00.0 Network controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. Device 8172 (rev 10)
    I have fglrx installed, and synaptic tells me the version is 2:8.723.1-0ubuntu4

Anything else I can share that might help someone point me in the right direction? ThinkWiki has a discussion post that claims the upcoming kernel release candidate 2.6.35 solves a lot of problems and quirks for the x100e that are present in the current one, but there's very little information I can find that I can understand--the ways of the kernel are beyond my ken.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jensoko

Re: thinkpad x100e screen blanking at random times

I am having the exact same problem, but I am using an Eee PC. Very annoying and I hope someone knows what is going wrong here, and how to fix it.
    Running Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 32bit on an EeePC netbook (model: 1005HAB).&nbsp; <br /><br />Found the following image online and thought it was funny:<br />

Comment

Hey, I still have sort of the same problem. A few months ago, my hard drive croaked and I replaced it, then installed a fresh version of Ubuntu 11.04 for 64-bit on it. I couldn't get kde to work properly on it, so I'm currently using Unity (not my favorite, but it seems to do the job). What I get now, though, is kernel panic, usually associated with the automatic updater, and seeming to center around the wireless network card, if I understand any of the gibberish that scrawls across the screen after kernel panic hits.

Comment

What is Kernel panic?
        My kernel just gives up the ghost when whatever-this-is happens. It doesn't even have jibberish scrawling across the screen afterwards. It just turns to a black screen with nothing but a mouse cursor that won't move.
        Running Kubuntu 10.04 LTS 32bit on an EeePC netbook (model: 1005HAB).&nbsp; <br /><br />Found the following image online and thought it was funny:<br />

Comment

Kernel panic is what the code actually says when my kernel panic happens--there's a whole bunch of code that scrawls down and somewhere near the top of the code, it clearly says, "Kernel panic, switching to something-something mode" (I can't ever screen shot, but it *just did it* about half a minute ago.

Comment

Very interesting. Well, my problem is obviously not the same as the kernel panic problem that jensoko is having.

BUT, I just noticed that running Crunchbang live also had the same problem#!

curiouser and curiouser. Actually, frustratinger and annoyinger. I'm starting to think my netbook is no good.

Comment

Working...
            X