This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crash when on battery power

I did a clean install of 10.04. All seems well, but my laptop (clevo 870cu, Intel Core i7 720QM, nVIDIA GeForce GTX285M) crashes after several minutes (sometimes seconds) after login when it is running on battery power. Up until now it works fine when the power cord is plugged in. I also noticed that the power manager does not detect that the power cord is pulled out or plugged in when I am logged in. Only after a reboot the power manager gets it right.
    In other words, when i boot on battery power and after login, I plug the AC adapter in, no crash happen, the battery is charging, but kde still thinks it is using battery power. Eusebiu has already put a post on this but I think he is not so unlucky that his laptop crashes when AC adapter is unplugged .

Anyway, My major problem: laptop crashes when AC adapter unplugged, luckily it works (very nicely) when the AC adapter is plugged in.
    (Sometimes the laptop awakens after a crash , get the login screen, I can login again, but also it will crash again. Mostly there is a black screen after a crash, the HDD led blinks every second and I have to turn off power.)

Any ideas, something to do with the power management...?

thanks

Re: crash when on battery power

Did you ever find a solution to this problem? I have the same issue, but I'm using a different laptop. It seems like a software problem, but I'm not sure the best place to start looking.

My laptop is an Averatec 2575 AMD Turion 64 2 cores at 2.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, running Kubuntu 10.04 64-bit.

The issue you had describes my issue exactly. When the computer is powered up, if I unplug the power it will shut down, but it will run fine when plugged in. Sometimes the power management will say 0% plugged in, not charging. However when it says that, the battery is charging according to the LEDs. The issue doesn't happen all the time so it's tough to reproduce reliably.

When it does act up, the only way to get the power management to display correctly is to reboot the machine. Everything else is working fine. I did upgrade the kernel to 2.6.35-25-server for better SSD support.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Comment

Re: crash when on battery power

Sometimes such problems can be ACPI-related. It's a shot in the dark, but let's try something.

Reboot your computer and when you see the graphical boot screen, press [Esc]. You'll see the GRUB menu. Press e to edit the highlighted command. Find the line that begins with linux. Move your cursor to the end and add [space] noacpi. Then press [Ctrl]+[X] to finish booting. Now see if you can reproduce your problem.

Comment

Working...
      X