Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lucid on Toshiba Satellite - A few things broken?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lucid on Toshiba Satellite - A few things broken?

Good Morning,

New Ubuntu user here (but familiar w/ *nix). Trying Kubuntu on a Toshiba Satellite, and not having the greatest luck. Most things work, but there's a few biggies, that I wanted to try posting here. I've tried an earlier version of 10.x (ran for a few weeks), and just yesterday downloaded 10.4-rc1, and tried that (same problem).

The biggest issue that complicates the install process for me is the ACPI problem. I read in another post that Toshiba's Firmware is non-compliant... OK, fine, adding "acpi=off" to the boot prompt in the CD and /etc/default/grub solved it for me, however that left me w/ a computer that doesn't see that it's a laptop. No knowledge of the battery at all - you unplug the machine, it will completely die when the battery run's out. Fan's and some temp. control stuff seems to be working (I hear the fan speed changing from time to time). But when you check the system settings, it doesn't even see the battery system at all... It's essentially a desktop computer configuration. I know it's probably a lot of work, but looking over the different types of installs, it's a shame there's no "laptop specific" installer (or maybe a switch/option to configure in the installer?) I kept getting alternate configs in /boot (so it seems silly to have a pre-empt, server and desktop, but no laptop config). I know that laptops are a different animal, but it seems to be those features I'm having trouble getting working.

I also have been totally unsuccessful over the past 3-4 weeks getting my wireless configuration to work at all. I've tried 2 base stations, multiple updates, tried configuring it a million times.. No love. Wired Ethernet works ducky, nary a problem, hardware's detected, etc... But wireless.. Can't get past "Configuring interface". Tried updating drivers (there was even one for the RealTek 8187 chips in this box), etc. Tried a few different applications for wireless, and also no-love.

The core of the system seems to be running good. X ran for weeks w/o any problems (ATI M860G Mobility Radeon 4100), for the most part all of the app's ran great (although I would get a notification that something crashed on boot-up, clicking "details" did nothing, so I never knew what it was). I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to get some Java stuff running (think or swim from TDAmeritrade!) without any complications at all! There were a few times on the pre-RC build that updates b0rked my computer, but was able to fumble through. A 'fixed' update usually rolled through w/in a few days. I remember there being many times I updated a track-pad, keyboard, or mouse something, and my control's got screwey on reboot (thank heavens for console logins!) After a few days however, it was working again (and I expected this sorta stuff w/ pre-release builds).

How long before Lucid goes live? Should I try installing 9.x to get my 'stuff' working properly, than update to 10.x when it's officially released? I'm wondering because the ACPI issue isn't minor... If it doesn't work in 9.x either, I'd just as soon continue working w/ the pre-release builds for now.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

- Mac

Re: Lucid on Toshiba Satellite - A few things broken?

Though you told us the hardware of your WIFI and Video it would be nice to know which type of laptop you have.
    I've so far had 3 Toshiba's that work without a problem, the present one is a Tecra S5.

The best front end for wireless is still wicd.
    When you do a search you can find info on how to set up wireless from the command line (ifconfig, iwconfig), it would at least indicate whether it's a software or a driver problem.

Comment

Re: Lucid on Toshiba Satellite - A few things broken?

Thanks Teunis, It's a Satellite L505D.

I had searched and found a previous thread about the ACPI problem, but was wondering if there's a way to tell the system it's on a laptop? I didn't see any config. options or anything in the installer (but I'm new to Kubuntu, so... was assuming operator-error). It flat-out does not see that whole sub-system to the computer. I had the same problem w/ gentoo which I tried earlier, but don't have the time to monkey around with it, which is why I tried ubuntu. Turning off ACPI allows the computer to work, but it's not a laptop-aware configuration, so kinda pointless. Is there anything in 9.x that might be different, and allow the power management sub-system to work (if not, I might as well continue trying to make something work in 10.x)?

I tried wicd and wasn't able to make it work previously. I ran synaptic and there was an update specific to my wireless controller too, but it still didn't make it work. Command line detailed the interface, and I could make changes that stuck, but.. it still would only show 'configuring interface' when trying to connect to the base-station (and never got any further). That's why I tried a second base-station (still no love). Even tried latching on to the neighbors !

Thanks again for the help.

- Mac

Comment

Working...
      X