X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I choose 64 bit for my new Athlon Neo

Athlon Neo is 64 bit.
    I have read posts there is no advantage with 2 GB RAM

It is coming in one of the newer ASUS netbooks and it has no OS installed (but comes with XP driver disk). Should arrive this week.

The Radeon graphics seems to be supported, along with wifi (ath9k driver) so that is a good start.

That being said, I am asking my fellow kubuntu'ers which I should install

I plan on running XP (32 bit) in VritualBox, and if need be 32 bit Kubuntu Lucid for whatever does not work.

If there is an overall opinion that I will not get a performance edge with 64 bit Lucid, I will probably go for 32 bit.

Running 32 bit lucid on old Thinkpad and old Acer Aspire 3000 Laptop. Nice.

Re: Should I choose 64 bit for my new Athlon Neo

Go ahead and install the 64-bit, maestro. The first that goes wrong -- you'll suspect "64-bit". Don't bother -- there's little or nothing that doesn't work equally in the 64-bit architecture. Worst case, if you use it a week and hate it, you can always reinstall the 32-bit architecture.

Comment

Re: Should I choose 64 bit for my new Athlon Neo

I second that, dibl.

I was concerned about the 64bit Jaunty not working as well as the 32 bit version because of the 32 bit apps not working well under a 64bit OS. I haven't encountered any problems with 32 bit apps running under a 64bit Karmic or Lucid release. There is a decided performance advantage of around 15% +- 10%, depending on the app. So far, I"ve never encountered a performance degradation.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X