This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 10.04 RC Impressions: Vote now until the final

Open a vote for the impressions of Kubuntu Rc. In my distro all the problems have fixed. I have only the weird plymouth screen with the funky colours. This is terrible for the first impressions of the distro to see a crap welcome screen.
    The second problem i have is that suspend, hibernate still not working. Was working until alpha 2 but from then and for one month now is not working.
    A B' for me..
    I give it an A, this version of kubuntu is looking great!
    0%
    I'll go with a B. This looks good, though...
    0%
    C for me. There are some issues.
    0%
    I give it a D. I'm not impressed.
    0%
    I'd go with F. The Lucid Rc is terrible!!!
    0%

Re: Kubuntu 10.04 RC Impressions: Vote now until the final

Semi-solid C for me. Still having an issue with Xorg crashes induced by Firefox Add-ons since beta-1 (did not test alpha). Although there is a hint at resolution we will have to wait and see if it is graphic card independent (the crash sure is). This is the 'solid' part of semi-solid.

For the more liquid...
    Other than that I have high praise for Lucid Lynx and especially the Kubuntu version (I haven't played around with the Xubuntu version enough to comment). KDE integration into Firefox is a huge plus in my book. The window grouping thing is absolutely wonderful -- I'm already spoiled by it.

One caveat: I have not been able to test compositing or any of the other graphics effects due to limited hardware. Quite honestly, the laptop I'm using is not up to the task. That said, the fact that KDE4 runs as well as it does is a testament to how well it is integrated into the system, especially compared to Kubuntu 9.10 experiences.

The sum of it all depends on how wide-spread the Xorg issue is (I'm not the only one but do not know how many have this issue comparitively speaking) as to whether I would say this is ready for release. My gut says yes but the next month or so should prove or disprove that feeling as it gets rolled out more publically.

Enjoy!

Comment

I gave an A .......I net upgraded from KK at bata-1 witch was a net upgrade from JJ ......and for me it has ben just fine including compositing and has ben quite stable and dose all I nead and tell it to including wireless net.

I may have the xorg mem leak .....the jurey is still out on this one ....LOL

but all in all I think it's (10.04 LL) no more or less problamatick than eney uther of the top linux distros out curentley at least with my hardware and in my opinun.

thars allways going to be somthing you want software wise or a driver you nead for some pice of hardware that you may or may not halfe to hamer in depending on what distro your playing with at the moment but for me and my hardware .............?

we have ben happy with it

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Am saddened that (others and) I still have to start Kontact twice for Akonadi to run. But then, Nepomuk/Virtuoso/Akonadi together consume hundreds of MB RAM, and that's without Strigi... I might just forget about this side of KDE and use Thunderbird. Even so, I like a system that works - whether I use all of it or not.

X still doesn't always start properly with GRUB gfxpayloads > 640x480.

KDE still isn't always dualhead-aware and places stuff in between monitors instead of centred on one of them. Logging out/in always fixes it.

Comp still sometimes hangs during messages "acpid: exiting" and "checking battery" on shutdown/restart. I don't have a battery, and I don't seem to need acpid running for suspension to RAM, either. I may yet disable acpid. Again, though, would be nice not to have to.

But I seem to be "missing" the "serious kernel problem" "welcome" on boot. Either it's been fixed or the "reporter" isn't running anymore.

C for now.

Comment

Like mentioned above I really like the Firefox integration. One REALLY WEIRD thing though I am experiencing - and can't for the life of me figure out - is when I use AOL webmail. Whenever I open mail in Firefox, and click on an email to open it, plasma crashes and the desktop restarts. This does not happen in GMail or any other web link that I can find.

Anyone experience anything like this?

Otherwise, very happy with this release.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

I have elevated my vote from B to A as my experience progressed from Alpha to a week before the release.

This morning when I booted up, after yesterday's upgrades, I got a purple screen with stars on it and "Ubuntu" in the middle of the screen. The stars twinkled. I wonder if they'll change the "Ubuntu" to Kubuntu"?

Other than that cosmetic issue, everything I've ever used on any distro is running as good or better than it has ever run.

SecondLife is faultless, although I will probably stop visiting that site because I believe it has peaked out and never reached its potential. Stellarium, my other 3D accelerated video watch dog is running perfectly, and that is with 40 Million stars installed, along with several dozen satellites.

QtCreator, SweetHome3D, QCad, Kdeliven, Openshot, Thunderbird (even with UseNet Newsgroups working!), FireFox, Sage, wxMaxima, Cantor, GIMP, Blender, Digikam, Audacity, VLC, mplayer, Skype 2.1_81, K3b, Streamtuner, GoogleEarth, Wicd, OOo, BibleTIme, InkScape, KOffice, Druid III, PostgreSQL 8.4, PGAdmin 3, Bazaar Explorer & bzr, Tora, WinXP SP3 in VirtualBox, Step and lots of minor apps and utilies ... ALL work well in Kubuntu Lucid Lynx on this Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H
            8)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by abalone
              X still doesn't always start properly with GRUB gfxpayloads > 640x480.
              Seems fixed, the problem hasn't occurred since the latest upgrades to Xorg, Plymouth and nvidia-current (not sure which of them). Rebooted maybe ten times.

Comment

Kubuntu Lucid leaves a very mixed impression with me. Some great new looks, good features, but also some small things that don't work but just make life hard and frustrating. For example, for laptop users especially you want to be able to plug in your headphones and have the speakers automatically muted (called 'jack sense'). Hardy did it, Lucid doesn't, and I can't see an option for changing that (using Intel built-in sound). Very annoying!!!

Comment

I am still at B-. akonadi is still a pain, although it seams to work now after a zillion tweeks and edits (LTS?)

Otherwise I am a happy trucker.

@ GG:
                  This morning when I booted up, after yesterday's upgrades, I got a purple screen with stars on it and "Ubuntu" in the middle of the screen. The stars twinkled. I wonder if they'll change the "Ubuntu" to Kubuntu"?
                  Have a look here:
                  http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110728.0
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I've given it a B.

I had to tweak grub to get bootup screen looking good.
                    I also had to try several things to finally get Akonadi working.

Thanks to these forums and the mailing lists all seems good.

Just seemed a lot of effort to get up and running well.

I've used Kubuntu since 6.06. If it had been any Distro other than Kubuntu I would have probably given up and moved on.
                    Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Working...
                    X