This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Halp! Kubuntu 10.04 RC 64 Bit liveCD doesn't boot

I've been having huge issues with Kubuntu 10.04 ever since it left alpha stages.

kirqsoft/0 would hit 50% all the time, as well as another process that would hit 30% (I forget the name) on a dual core system, leading the CPU temperature to hit ~140 degrees. Not good. So, my solution? Wipe the partition clean and install the RC and not install the proprietary nVidia graphics this time, because it wouldn't let me go back to Nouveau afterwards.

So, wipe it clean with GParted, restart, put the Kubuntu 10.04 RC 64 bit CD in. "Try Kubuntu Without Installing." Enter. Nothing. I try all the other options. No response. Restart the computer. Still nothing. I get a response in the fact that the options will glow for a second, and pressing enter causes the disk to spin for 10 seconds, but it will not go beyond this. Has anyone else had a problem with the new live CD yet?

(I would like to note: I am very thankful I had an Ubuntu 9.10 CD on hand so that I could reinstall grub to at least get to my Windows 7 partition, which I now have KDE installed on. So thank you very much to KDE on Windows for saving my presentation for tomorrow; no thanks to Kubuntu for messing with my drivers ;-) )

Re: Halp! Kubuntu 10.04 RC 64 Bit liveCD doesn't boot

Are you sure that both, the downloaded .iso file was 'good' - md5 sum checked out - and if it did, that the burn to CD was 'good?'
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You might want to grab another brand of CD and try a burn on that. Bootable Linux CDs need to be pristine, due to the intense compression -- a defect that is not audible for playing music is fatal for booting and/or installing. Don't forget to burn at the slowest speed you have available, and use DAO mode if you have it.

Comment

just curious..
        have you tried installing from USB instead.
        i plan to do that... once the final release is out.
        i hope USB install is without any hitch.
        asus A52N
        Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
        AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
        windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

I've been using a DVD RW, it's worked very well for the last couple of releases (mostly alphas of 10.04 and 9.10). I'm going to try it out on a flash, but the disk checks and sums came out alright, so I don't know what went wrong

Comment

Working...
          X