This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmix doesn't mute laptop speakers when headphone plugged in

This seems to be a Lucid issue since our Kubuntu Hardy laptop does mute them. It's quite annoying to have to manually turn down speaker volume and then turn it back up when one is finished with using the headphones! Running the 64 bit version on Thinkpad SL510

Re: Kmix doesn't mute laptop speakers when headphone plugged in

i had the same problem but didn't get much help on it
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3110245.0

Comment

I can't say I know an answer to this, I've never had this problem before. Have you checked through all the sounds configurations in the menu? I think I recall there being something in there, actually (mute speakers when headphones are plugged in, something obvious).

Comment

KDE doesn't really allow you much sound settings apart from Kmix. Some ubuntu forum people talked about a jack sense option, but I certainly couldn't find one in KDE...

Comment

This is primarily a hardware compatibility issue. Some laptops work as you would expect when you plug in a headset, such as this Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E notebook, or my wife's Acer Aspire 3004Li. My previous laptop, a Gateway m675prr, required that I manually open the mixer and change a switch setting from "Mic Back" to Mic Front" (IIRC) if I wanted to divert the sound output from the on board speaker to the headphones. I've heard of other hardware that piped sound to both the speakers and the headphones at the same time. Others would never recognize the headphones.

The real solution, of course, would be if PC OEMs manufactured their hardware to be OS neutral and/or released hardware specs detailed and accurate enough to allow FOSS coders to write functional mixers without having to reverse engineer or experiment.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X