This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: xorg-server memory leak

If nvidia-settings brings up the nvidia Xorg control panel, and shows your display correctly, then yes you are running with the nvidia driver.

Does that error output always show the same 3 memory addresses? Since it says "not released memory pool", I'm inclined to think it is a feature of your motherboard/BIOS design, rather than anything about Linux. There's a similar "feature" on my Intel motherboard -- a boot warning regarding memory reservation, but it's irrelevant to running the system.

The other thing to do is just to let your system run for a few days, and see if there is any evidence of any kind of degradation. Linux will tend to "use up" memory, mainly for disk cache, in a way that is unnerving for folks whose main experience is with Windows. But in Linux, it's a good thing to use your memory in a productive way. When you start an application or start copying files around or something like that, it should re-adjust the memory allocation to let you work productively, and as long as it does that, you do not have reason for concern.

Comment

Thanks dibl!

Code:
      Does that error output always show the same 3 memory addresses?
      No. The addresses are different.

I will leave Lucid running for a few days and check my memory usage.
      OS: Win7 Prof. X64, XP Prof. x86. WD 160GB X3 RAID 0<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid X64 LTS. <br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; 10.10 Maverick X64 KDE 4.6.2<br />MB: abit IP35 PRO. Q6600 OC: 3204MHz. <br />RAM: OCZ 1066MHz 8GB (4X2GB) <br />Graphics: Nvidia 9800GTX+ OC: 823/1265<br />Displays: LG 1280X1024. Asus 1680X1050

Comment

Hi guys, I landed here after a google-search, so I hope this is the right spot for this issue. Basically, since I fresh-installed kubuntu RC, the Xorg process shown in System Monitor keeps eating up memory. I've read a fix has been issued, but nothing changed at this end. Currently, Xorg is at 894.0 and counting, and no application closed seems to have any relevant effect. I don't have a Nvidia card, but a Matrox 450, so I'm not using nvidia drivers. Also, following the tests I've found in this page, I got this result:

Code:
        lelamal@EGO:~$ grep "object bytes" /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects
        grep: /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects: No such file or directory
        and this:

Code:
        lelamal@EGO:~$ free
               total    used    free   shared  buffers   cached
        Mem:    2060876  2008996   51880     0   11960   361208
        -/+ buffers/cache:  1635828   425048
        Swap:   2496504   278364  2218140
        There is obviously something terribly wrong, but I don't know how to fix it. Is it a graphic card specific issue, or is something else which is being addressed?

Comment

In some cases it could be:
          http://insidesocal.com/click/2010/04...te-its-no.html
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
            Thanks for the link, Fintan. Indeed, my GLX version is 1.2, and had swappiness level at a default 60 value. Now it's set to 10, and I will keep monitoring Xorg behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by Fintan
              If your lucid has been slowing down and become sluggish lately (like mine) this may be the reason:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=ODE3MA

With a partial fix here:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/GEMLeak

Hope this is useful
              I just want to ask some very very simple. How can I install the patch? Because, I need the patch for intel video card. Currently i have the 2.9.1 version of xserver-xorg-video-intel but the patch it's in the ppa is 2.9.0-1ubuntu2~xup~3.

My problem it's Kubuntu uses Kpackagekit for install the updates and it just takes the lastest version of each package and i haven't found how to force a downgrade for the patch.

Thanks for any help.

Best Regards
              Sorry for my bad English...

Comment

Quote from here:
                https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Testing/GEMLeak

Code:
                sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                Please verify that:
                Code:
                glxinfo | grep "GLX version"
                says "1.2", not "1.4"
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

ok i think that my start was very bad because

Code:
                  sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
                  [sudo] password for mikesol: 
                  Exception in thread Thread-1:
                  Traceback (most recent call last):
                   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/threading.py", line 532, in __bootstrap_inner
                    self.run()
                   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 59, in run
                    self.add_ppa_signing_key(self.ppa_path)
                   File "/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/softwareproperties/ppa.py", line 88, in add_ppa_signing_key
                    print "Error reading %s: %s" % (lp_url, e)
                  UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 42: ordinal not in range(128)

Ok i added the repo manually, no problem.. but

Code:
                  ~$ sudo apt-get update
                  Err [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org[/url] lucid Release.gpg
                   Connexion à packages.medibuntu.org: 80 (88.191.101.8) impossible. - connect (111: Connexion refusée)
                  Err [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org/[/url] lucid/free Translation-fr                                                            
                   Impossible de se connecter à packages.medibuntu.org:http :
                  Err [url]http://packages.medibuntu.org/[/url] lucid/non-free Translation-fr ...

I tried with pkcon, and it can connect to internet but it seems that just take the lastest version 2.9.1(with the bug) instead of 2.9.0

Thanks
                  Sorry for my bad English...

Comment

I think mine got fixed

befor when I would do

Code:
                    vinny@desktop:~$ grep "object bytes" /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/gem_objects 
                    213168128 object bytes
                    the # would just keep growing untill it wint to -#'s witch the report sead ment multipull Gig's of loss

now after a X-sever-core update 2 days ago the reported number has gone as high as 290000000 or so but will drop back ...... then up then back and fluckuats like that .........intel chip's hear.

so I assume the mem is being relesed and not lost.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                    X