This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] /boot won't mount

I installed the beta today from the image found on the website. Everything was working fine until I did the updates when they came up. I was using kernel 2.6.32-16 and it worked fine, when the new kernel 2.6.32-19 installed it stopped working.

I get the following message when trying to boot in to the system after the update.
    "The disk drive for /boot is not ready yet or not present"

When i boot back to 2.6.32-16 it works fine after a few weird warning on the ubuntu splash screen.

Any thoughts on what I can do? Also I included a pic for reference.

[img width=400 height=300]http://img542.imageshack.us/img542/8571/photos.jpg[/img]

Re: /boot won't mount

check
    Code:
    ls /boot
    and see if you have the initrd.img-2.6.32-19-generic

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

this is what returns

Code:
      ls /boot
      abi-2.6.32-16-generic     memtest86+.bin
      abi-2.6.32-19-generic     System.map-2.6.32-16-generic
      config-2.6.32-16-generic   System.map-2.6.32-19-generic
      config-2.6.32-19-generic   vmcoreinfo-2.6.32-16-generic
      grub             vmcoreinfo-2.6.32-19-generic
      initrd.img-2.6.32-16-generic vmlinuz-2.6.32-16-generic
      initrd.img-2.6.32-19-generic vmlinuz-2.6.32-19-generic
      lost+found

Comment

anyone have any other ideas of something I can try? Just a thought, I ran all the updates at once... I am not sure if after running all of them if reverting back to the old kernel uses the updated packages or not. Also, is it possible the new kernel had the wrong boot partition for some reason? If so can I change it?

Comment

Have you tried to boot into the safe mode?

When you are able to get to a command prompt you should at least give the system a chance to repair itself with:
          sudo apt-get clean
          sudo apt-get auto clean
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get upgrade
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Comment

I can boot in normally under the old kernel, should I try those commands under that? Also I added a new pic to show errors during boot up if it helps.

[img width=400 height=300]http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6229/photobp.jpg[/img]

also, network manager wont start when running new kernel without /boot mounted (when I skip from my first photo). So I am not sure how to run those off the new kernel

Comment

also, I ran the commands on the old kernel after boot up, nothing changed. I then tried going into recovery mode on the new kernel and it failed out before bootup

Comment

It's hard to read the small picture of your screen but I see a recurring error activating swap.
                Because this does not happen when starting up the *-16 kernel it could very well be an error in grub.
                I know nothing about grub2 what you use but have read here there is a command to recreate it.

A slightly better readable picture of your screen might give the needed information.

Comment

This is now solved, I asked over on ubuntu forums.

I had /boot at 128mb I did a reinstall after being told fedora had a problem if /boot was under 300mb. New install was 500mb /boot partition and after updates it boots perfectly. Just wanted to supply info in case anyone else has this problem. Thanks for all the help!

Comment

Working...
                  X