X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound chanels

OK I am at my wit's end.

the device............

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
    the problem is that at some times like right after a mager upgrade of KDE Kmix and alsamixer will display ALL the chanels for the device...........but the next set of upgrades or somthing will eventualey brake it so that onley the rear outputs are active and no suround sound.

this last time the 474 upgrades that brought KDE-4.4.2 in also gave me back all my chanels and I was happley using the frunt output's and lisining to my musick.

I was testing all my media players and using XBMC and hit the shutdown insted of exit and it did shutdown the box .
    but on reboot I'm back to a minamal set of chanels agin

I know it's posable for all the chanels to work but have know idea ware to start looking for the right config's , rc's, mod's , even blacklist's to start playing around at tring to fix it.

eney ideas would be appreciated

I do have sound just not all the chanels that thare should be.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Re: sound chanels

I have stumbeld across a sloppy and altimatley unacceptable workaround................

it seams if I boot into windows and play with the sound controle software then boot back to Kubuntu ......all the chanels are back.......for now.

I say it's a unacceptable workaround sence it involves booting windows

VINNY
    16GB RAM

Comment

You mean like as if the sound setting used in Windows are saved in the BIOS or other hardware?
      Or do you mean like playing around in the Linux configuration files before starting up?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis
        You mean like as if the sound setting used in Windows are saved in the BIOS or other hardware?
        Or do you mean like playing around in the Linux configuration files before starting up?
        yes .... if I boot windows and set the sound and then boot to linux I have all the chanels for a wile.

as though something in the sound chips/card gets reset and then linux can see all the chanels.

but if in linux somthing hapens ........like shuting down the box frome in XBMC (as in the exampel 2 posts ubuve but not allwase just XBMC) when I reboot strate back to linux most of the chanels are gone and I have no way to bring them back exept to reboot to windows play with the setings and then reboot linux and all the chanels are back?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

Vinney,
          Are you saying that when you click on the sound icon in the system tray, click "Mixer", in the Mixer click the "Settings" menu, and on that menu chose "Configure Channels", there aren't any unselected channels in the left column?

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK so I just made shure it wasent a fluke.........hears how it went.

1- in Kubuntu and all the chanels are up and the frunt ouputs are working.

2- shutdown the box and take a shower

3- bootup Kubuntu.........most chanels are GONE just master,frunt(that dosent output to the frunt),PCM,2-capture's,and 1-mike.

4-restart and boot windows play with the realteck sound effects

5-restart and boot Kubuntu .....and all the chanels are back...

this would seam to indicate that something in the sound gets switched off on a shutdown and Kubuntu dosent switch it back on but windows dose......?......?.....?

@GreyGeek -- yes exactley.

I will "now" that I know how to reproduse this post screens of the mixer window in both states to show the diff........give me abought a 1/2 hower give or take ......the wife is huney doing me ......huney do this huney do that.....LOL

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

OK
              hears good Kmix

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/goodkmix.png[/img]

and hears the bad Kmix

[img width=400 height=300]http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c291/vinnywright/badkmix.png[/img]

I'll leave it as bad Kmix for a wile to try eney and all sugjeshtons on how to activate the rest of the chanels from Kubuntu.

Keep in mind that bad Kmix dose work just not as well......nothing on or frum the 2 frunt outputs 1 headphone and 1 mike.

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

What Multimedia Backend are you using?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  What Multimedia Backend are you using?
                  Xine

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

What happens when you run alsamixer in a Konsole? After you hit F5 does it show more controls than Kmixer shows?

Mine, which is also an HDA Intel, looks like this:
                    Attached Files
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                      What happens when you run alsamixer in a Konsole? After you hit F5 does it show more controls than Kmixer shows?

Mine, which is also an HDA Intel, looks like this:
                      alsamixer allways reflects what Kmix shows !!

I'v also redused it to just booting windows (and not playing with the sound controles thare) reinabels all the chanels......

I can reboot all I want (the box dosent acualey power off just restarts) and all the chanels will be thare every boot.

but once powerd off I half to boot windows then resart>grub> Kubuntu to have all the chanels!

VINNY
                      16GB RAM

Comment

So no one has a clue hu...........

well me eather :P

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

No clue, but a suggestion...

Try removing alsa and fully installing pulseaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                            No clue, but a suggestion...

Try removing alsa and fully installing pulseaudio.
                            NOTED: and loged as first suggestion to try

will do this weekend when I have plentey of time for purging and reinstalling.........LOL
                            and to give some time for more Ideas for the [try this log]

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X