This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Now this is interesting...

I'm tired of the blue 'halo effect 'of glowbar.svgz on the panel so I decided to edit the image. Curiously the file contains no colors apart from the usual page and border options found in all plasma svg images.

However I did notice a few external (http) links to .svgz images. (I use kate to edit images for minor changes). Nevermind I thought, onto plan B. As a plan B solution, I downloaded the source code of the open-suse equivalent image and tried to set that in place of the one shipped with Kubuntu. No dice as in no change, even though this image is distinctly green. After a false 'eureka' moment (the clearing of caches for plasma_theme_default.kcache) without result, I just deleted all instances of the image: I found two; usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/default/widgets/ and usr/share/kde4/apps/desktoptheme/oxygen/widgets/. Done.

I went through the process of clearing the caches, changing plasma-themes back and forth and a restart but still no luck.

But the most bizare thing is this:

Without the images present in .../Desktopthemes/default and oxygen folders, 'locate' in a konsole still finds glowbar.svgz in both locations. Go figure!

I checked the themes again, no images...

I didn't anticipate needing a plan C.

Anyone got any suggestions?
    Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Cron only runs the process of updating the files database daily. Therefore, when one makes changes (adds/deletes) files, you *need* to force an update to this database. Open a console and type:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get updatedb
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 26, 2012, 09:25 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well I tried as you suggested, again without luck.
      I've never needed to perform an update to apply theme changes before though, nevertheless, the fact remains.

glowbar.svgz images are still 'found' with locate in a konsole. Why?

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

My bad! Wrong command. I've edit my prior post. The correct command is:
        Code:
        sudo updatedb

Comment

No luck with sudo updatedb either.

Comment

Exactly what is shown with locate glowbar.svgz

Comment

Ok,
              konsole no longer finds glowbar.svgz!
              It's a start but the glow remains on the panel after deleting caches, changing themes and a restart.

Comment

It could be in a 'root' cache.

Comment

Just emptied /usr/tmp and ~/ .kde caches, switched themes. Nothings changed.

Comment

I've tried switching themes in 'root' as well, I just can't kill the glow on the panel.

Comment

What version of Kubuntu / KDE?

Comment

12.04 precise and KDE 4.8.1

There must be another svgz image that applies the glow. I can't think of any other reason for it.
                        Anyway thanks for getting me this far. I'll go look for more svgz's with the ghastly glow.
                        cheers
                        Last edited by bra|10n; Mar 26, 2012, 10:36 PM.

Comment

Ok I found nothing as svgz images anywhere that exhibit the offending glow. And now that I think about it, doesn't open suse also have the same effect?
                          I just don't see how this is still possible without the images being present.

Comment

Well, as Sherlock Holmes said, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth."

Implying that maybe, it isn't a file named glowbar.svgz that you need to be looking for.

Comment

there used to be several windblows things that were purposely not named correctly so that people couldn't fiddle with them.

woodsmoke
                              sigpic
                              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                              X