This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

32bit app question on 64bit machine

I want to install lignumCAD (hosted on sourceforge) onto my 64bit machine. The source code is available, but how do I make a 64bit binary from the source? The rpm available is only for 32bit. I assume I need to compile the binary, but is there anything else I need to be concerned about? If it is that easy, how do I take it one step further and make that binary a deb package for KPackageKit to install properly in my system?

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo

Re: 32bit app question on 64bit machine

Downloading lignumCAD
    The lignumCAD software and documentation are available from the SourceForge site: http://sourceforge.net/projects/lignumcad. A precompiled binary installation is available for Linux/i386 in RPM format.
    You could see if converting this RPM binary to a .deb file via Alien will result in an installable package:
    Description: convert and install rpm and other packages

Alien allows you to convert LSB, Red Hat, Stampede and Slackware Packages
    into Debian packages, which can be installed with dpkg.
    Alien can be installed via your package manger or from the CLI (sudo apt-get install alien).

Converting a RPM binary to .deb doesn't necessarily guarantee that the converted .deb package will fully install or work, but many times it does.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by jtsmith73
      I want to install lignumCAD (hosted on sourceforge) onto my 64bit machine. The source code is available, but how do I make a 64bit binary from the source? The rpm available is only for 32bit. I assume I need to compile the binary, but is there anything else I need to be concerned about? If it is that easy, how do I take it one step further and make that binary a deb package for KPackageKit to install properly in my system?

Thanks in advance,

Jimbo
      This page explains how to compile LignumCAD under Linux. BUT, you will have problems. LignumCAD is built with an OLD version of Qt, namely Qt 3.0.6. It says "or later" but there is a gulf between Qt3 and Qt4 such that merely recompiling the source under Qt4 will not work. Even Qt4 classes with the same names as Qt3 classes may not actually be the same because of additions, changes and removal of methods, properties and such.

The compile instructions also require the following additions files or tools:

#The latest CVS version of OpenCASCADE 4. A partial set of compiled libraries is also available from the lignumCAD SourceForge site.
      #FreeType 2.1.3 or later. Note: all versions of FreeType between 2.0.9 and 2.1.2 contain a bug which will cause lignumCAD to render rotated text incorrectly.
      #An OpenGL 1.2 implementation (your graphics board manufacturer should have supplied the driver and OpenGL headers); Mesa 4.0 and later work well, too.
      #The SGI sample implementation of libGLU 1.3. (Also available in Mesa 4.0 and later.)
      Since LignumCAD is at 0.2 and most of its required tools have "moved on" significant changes might be necessary to the souce in order to make it compatible with the current state of the tools.

As SnowHog said, using Alien to conver the RPM package to a .deb package "may" produce and installable binary WHICH, under your 64bit system using the ia32-lib 32bit compatibility libraries, that "MIGHT" run... but I doubt it.

You could install QtCreator (the GUI RAD IDE for Qt) from the repository, along with all of the Qt4 libraries it requires, and then attempt to modify the code written for Qt3 so that it will work under Qt4. In the process you will also learn how difficult it is to convert a KDE 3.5.x application to KDE 4.3.x, and why both the Qt and KDE developers started their respective projects from scratch.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That would explain the error I was getting from using the current tools:

Code:
        jimbo@Mobilebeast5:/opt/lignumCAD/lignumCAD-0.2/lignumCAD$ sudo qmake lignumCAD.pro
        jimbo@Mobilebeast5:/opt/lignumCAD/lignumCAD-0.2/lignumCAD$ sudo make 
        g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O0 -D_REENTRANT -DOGLFT_NO_SOLID -DGL2PS_USE_QT -DGL2PS_USE_EMF +
        -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -DQT_NO_DEBUG -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default +
        -I. -Ilcfilechooser -Ilcfontchooser -Ilccolorchooser -Ilcdefaultfilechooser -Ilcdefaultcombobox -Ilcdefaultlengthspinbox +
        -Ilcdefaultratiospinbox -Ilcconstraintchooser -Ilcdefaultspinbox -Ilcdefaultlengthconstraint -I. -I/usr/local/include +
        /freetype2 -I/usr/local/src/Mesa/include -I/usr/include/X11/Xft -I/usr/local/include/OpenCASCADE -I/usr/include/qt3 +
        -I.ui/ -I.moc/ -o .obj/main.o main.cpp 
        In file included from /usr/include/qt3/qdragobject.h:50, 
        from constants.h:29, 
        from main.cpp:39: 
        /usr/include/qt3/qimage.h: In member function ‘bool QImageTextKeyLang::operator<(const QImageTextKeyLang&) const’: 
        /usr/include/qt3/qimage.h:61: warning: suggest parentheses around ‘&&’ within ‘||’ 
        In file included from constants.h:33, 
        from main.cpp:39: 
        ratio.h: At global scope: 
        ratio.h:88: warning: type qualifiers ignored on function return type 
        In file included from main.cpp:39: 
        constants.h: In function ‘QString lC::Render::styleText(lC::Render::Style)’: 
        constants.h:254: warning: enumeration value ‘PARENT’ not handled in switch 
        constants.h:254: warning: enumeration value ‘HIGHLIGHTS’ not handled in switch 
        constants.h: In function ‘QString lC::Edge::styleText(lC::Edge::Style)’: 
        constants.h:318: warning: enumeration value ‘SOLID’ not handled in switch 
        In file included from command.h:31, 
        from main.cpp:43: 
        vectoralgebra.h: At global scope: 
        vectoralgebra.h:68: error: expected initializer before ‘&’ token 
        vectoralgebra.h:162: error: expected initializer before ‘&’ token 
        vectoralgebra.h:256: error: expected initializer before ‘&’ token 
        vectoralgebra.h:350: error: expected initializer before ‘&’ token 
        vectoralgebra.h:566: error: expected initializer before ‘&’ token 
        constants.h:48: warning: ‘lC::MINIMUM_DIMESION’ defined but not used 
        make: *** [.obj/main.o] Error 1
        If I can't get this program to compile and install, what would you recommend for a woodworking-focused CAD?

Thanks again

Comment

I don't know if "woodworking" requires any special treatment apart from what is normally given to creating 3D views of any object. With that in mind, here is a tutorial on how to use Blender (which is in the repository) to create architechture plans and objects like furniture, etc... In fact, you could use it to model any object

Edit: In the box on the right, where you can select the other 2 tutorial videos, is a video showing the completed project and a "fly through", with an image of the real house superimposed on the fly-through. Notice that when they fly into a room it contains furniture, fixings, TV, computer, door and cabinet details, etc....

OR, you can install Google's Sketchup-7 under WINE in Linux. Here's how.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Edit: In the box on the right, where you can select the other 2 tutorial videos, is a video showing the completed project and a "fly through", with an image of the real house superimposed on the fly-through. Notice that when they fly into a room it contains furniture, fixings, TV, computer, door and cabinet details, etc....
            that model was pretty well done
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Sure was! 8)

Although I knew it was a great 3D part modeler I wasn't aware that Blender could be used for architectural work.

I first used Blender around 1.5 or before, I can't remember exactly when, but to generate support they were offering a printed manual, created using Blender, for $50. I purchased it. It REALLY smelled funny but it was beautifully done. I don't know how much of that manual is any good, but the current Blender looks fairly similar to when I was using it. Back then they also released a clip of a movie made using Blender. Its title was something about an Elephant, but again my memory fails me.

Doing a quick look through of the version in the Repository I can say that they have significantly increased the power of Blender since I last used it, several years ago, and it was STRONG then!

Comment

I'm pretty impressed with the power blender offers... and a bit intimidated from a laptop user perspective. I could probably get away with not using a 3-button mouse, but when I try to design a piece of furniture on graph paper, I go through a lot of paper in different concept drawings and that is before I determine joinery and a cut list. I was excited that there was a CAD program available to woodworkers. Something I could use to design furniture in a precise manner and then develop a cut list all without paper, until I go to print the final version. I guess blender could offer that capability in "layers", but I guess I'll end up spending a lot of time in the tutorials. It appears the lignumCAD development is dead for the most part...

Thanks again for your inputs.

Cheers,

Jimbo

Comment

I can understand your feeling of being overwhelmed.

You might try, as was mentioned before, getting Sketchpad7 running under Linux using WINE.

Here is a forum that could help you do that if you begin to feel you don't have or want to take the time to learn how to use Blender.

However, considering the power of Blender it may well be worth the extra time needed to become acquainted with it.

EDIT: I found this web site]http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?p=476&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=]web site where Penguin Pete reviews SketchUp running under WINE. You may want to use Blender after all.

Comment

Working...
                  X