This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOWTO: Hiding Entries in K Menu WITHOUT Deleting Them

I've always been a little jealous of Ubuntu's Alacarte Menu Editor for one, and only one, feature: the ability to hide menu entries without removing them from the menu. AFAIK, this is not possile using the KDE Menu Editor. So I decided to snoop around to see how to implement this without resorting to 3rd-party apps. And I found this (yay lucky me!).

I'll do it step by step:

1. Right-click on the menu item that you want to hide and choose Edit Menu. Or you can open up the KDE Menu Editor directly:

Press Alt+F2 > Enter kmenuedit

2. At the right side of the menu editor, the first two lines/input fields are for the Name and Description. Put a "." (dot/period) at the beginning of the text in those input fields. So for example

Name: Kate
    Description: Advanced Text Editor
    will become

Name: .Kate
    Description: .Advanced Text Editor
    (Take note of the ".")

3. Save

And voila! Hidden menu entries. But they're still in the K Menu. To bring them back, simply launch KDE Menu Editor and remove the "."!

This is specially useful for those who have installed GNOME and Xfce over Kubuntu. If you want to have a clean K Menu but don't want to delete those menu entries, just put a "." at the beginning of those entries.

IMPORTANT WARNING: don't do these with folders/sub-menus, as this will hide those folders from KMenuEdit itself. Thanks to Teppic for mentioning this. If you accidentally hid a sub-menu using this, you can still recover it:
    1. Go to ~/.local/share/desktop-directories/
    2. Search for the .desktop entry that matches the folder/sub-menu that you hid.
    3. Open it up with Kate (or whatever text editor you prefer)
    4. Look for the line with "Name="
    5. remove the "." (dot) at the beginning of the name)
    6. Save and Refresh K Menu by opening up KMenuEdit and clicking on Save.

I was also able to reproduce this in MEPIS 6, so as far as I know, it can be done on any KDE-based distro (unlike Alacarte... )

Have fun tweaking!
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: HOWTO: Hiding Entries in K Menu WITHOUT Deleting Them

This is a good tip and thanks i have successfully used it as well

Comment

hey! fancy seeing you here, too!
      Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Be aware that if you . an entire folder (Lost & Found or similar) you do lose tha ability to see them in kmenuedit

Comment

Er.. my bad...

I will edit my post.
          Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
          X