This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clock is an hour off every time i restart the computer

Everytime I restart the computer the clock is off by an hour, the current timezone is set to London, which is correct. Anyone know how to fix it?
    Last edited by Snowhog; May 26, 2013, 03:21 PM.

My clock was off 2 hours all the time. I live in the Amsterdam timezone. So the machine switches to UTC, Don't know to fix it though. Selecting the right timezone is not the answer.

Comment

The first thing I'd try is to reconfigure tzdata package:

Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
      Choose your timezone in the console and check whether the console reports correct time when you're done.

Report the output and we'll go from there.

Comment

Just switched back to KDE. While looking at the Digital Clock time jumped 2 houres.

rob@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Current default time zone: 'Europe/Amsterdam'
        Local time is now: Wed May 8 00:08:37 CEST 2013.
        Universal Time is now: Tue May 7 22:08:37 UTC 2013.

So I changed time once again. And...
        rob@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
        sudo: timestamp too far in the future: May 7 22:08:27 2013
        [sudo] password for rob:

Current default time zone: 'Europe/Amsterdam'
        Local time is now: Tue May 7 22:09:57 CEST 2013.
        Universal Time is now: Tue May 7 20:09:57 UTC 2013.

Trouble starts when I select the option "Date and time automatically adjusted" ( I use a Dutch version so the translation may be wrong )

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7 View Post
          Everytime I restart the computer the clock is off by an hour, the current timezone is set to London, which is correct. Anyone know how to fix it?
          Have you checked if the time is correct in the BIOS? Enter setup and check it. If incorrect, that might be where your problem is. It would reset, I believe, every time you restarted and defeat the settings you attempted in the Desktop. I am not sure, but it is an easy test. Hope it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
            Just switched back to KDE. While looking at the Digital Clock time jumped 2 houres.
            Trouble starts when I select the option "Date and time automatically adjusted" ( I use a Dutch version so the translation may be wrong )
            These would seem to point towards the KDE ntp implementation, unfortunately haven't been able to reproduce.

Have you checked bugs.kde.org for matching reports (should be a fairly visible bug if it's even somewhat common)

@Shabakthanai
            The symptoms don't seem to match a BIOS clock issue, the clock wouldn't change "while looking at the clock" (it would be wrong from the get go). Of course it's possible that there are two different issues on the thread (Falc7's and Roberto's), but they seem eerily similar
            Last edited by kubicle; May 07, 2013, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Falc7 View Post
              It sounds like a daylight savings time failure to apply. Spring forward time.

Comment

I have the same problem, two hours off. I try to tick off the option to change time automatically, but that either crashes the settings window, or switches the time to two hours too early.

I live in Norway, so I guess it switches back to UTC.

Comment

Originally posted by Orwan View Post
                  I have the same problem, two hours off. I try to tick off the option to change time automatically, but that either crashes the settings window, or switches the time to two hours too early.

I live in Norway, so I guess it switches back to UTC.
                  I performed "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" several times and adjusted the time when it changed and suddenly I got the right settings. And don't try to select the auto-adjust option.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    The first thing I'd try is to reconfigure tzdata package:

Code:
                    sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata
                    Choose your timezone in the console and check whether the console reports correct time when you're done.

Report the output and we'll go from there.
                    This has fixed it thanks!

Comment

I saw a similar problem on one of my computers at home. In my case, the "file" /etc/localtime was a symbolic link that pointed to "no where". I corrected the symbolic link to point to the appropriate timezone file and all started working.

On my system at work, /etc/localtime is a file which I assume is copied from one of the timezones.

Check out what the filesystem entry for "/etc/localtime" is and verify it points to a specific file if it is a symbolic link, or has appropriate info if it is a file.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberto View Post
                        I performed "sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" several times and adjusted the time when it changed and suddenly I got the right settings. And don't try to select the auto-adjust option.
                        Excellent, thanks. That fixed it for me, too.

Comment

OOOOPPS! Digital clock is still acting up. Have tried all above suggestions even - thanks guys!!.
                          The problem with sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata is that Pacific time was chosen, but on the next list, Vancouver isn't listed. My bios is set correctly too. Weird!

Comment

Originally posted by Bumpalot View Post
                            OOOOPPS! Digital clock is still acting up. Have tried all above suggestions even - thanks guys!!.
                            The problem with sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata is that Pacific time was chosen, but on the next list, Vancouver isn't listed. My bios is set correctly too. Weird!
                            Tried scrolling over the plasmoid in the panel? It sounds odd but just try.

Comment

Yes, tried scrolling over the plasmoid in the panel - sick of doing it - every reboot I have to change the time, sometimes the day! Gues I will have to live with it untill it gets fixed - not holding my breath for that!
                              Thanks again guys for sticking with this - much appreciated!
                              Note: I tried to mark this thread SOLVED, but it isn't listed in Thread Tools.??
                              Last edited by Bumpalot; May 14, 2013, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X