X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 12.10 Problems

Hi,
    For the third time I have installed Kubuntu 12.10. This time I used a DVD. But the problems are back again. After the first restart all seemed to be fine until I started Dolphin. It didn't work. Even the name in the task bar disappeared. After the restart nothing was working. For instance when I started the System Settings I got the message: Configuration file "/home/sigurd/.kde/share/config/systemsettingsrc" not writable. For all other applications I got a similar message only with another rc-file at the end of the message.
    After a restart the BIOS came up but not Kubuntu. An interruption with the power key (3sec) and a new start led to a grub file. Here I have chosen the ubuntu recovery mode. By the way I saw that there are three different Linux kernel available. I used the recent. Some mistakes were detected. I used the "F" key to eliminate them. Now Firefox is running again.
    What can I do to solve that problem?
    Regards, Sigurd

1) For you different installs did you use the same iso or different downloads? Did you check the MD5 Sum? (http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download scroll down to "MD5 Sums")

2) Have you done?:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

3) What are the basic specs of your computer? Does it have a MAKE and MODEL or is is a generic grey box?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi arochester,

Let me answer your questions:

1) For you different installs did you use the same iso or different downloads? Did you check the MD5 Sum? (http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/download scroll down to "MD5 Sums")
      I did not check the MD5 sum. But k3b verified the burned ISO file on DVD as okay.

2) Have you done?:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get upgrade
      Two times I used the muon update manager and the last time I used the DVD. I not yet did the upgrade by using the Konsole.

3) What are the basic specs of your computer? Does it have a MAKE and MODEL or is is a generic grey box?
      I use a notebook Acer Aspire 5739G with Intel Core Duo processor P7450 (2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB), NVIDIA GeForce GT 240M (up to 2796 MB TurboCache), 4 GB Memory, 640 GB HDD (with 3 partitions: Partition 1 = Device: /dev/sda1, Size: 158 GB, Partition Type: Linux (Bootable), Contents: Ext4 (version 1.0), In use: Yes, mounted at Filesystem Root; Partition 2 = Device: /dev/sda3, Size: 10 GB, Partition Type: Swap (version 2), In use: Yes; Partition 3 = Device: /dev/sda2, Siize: 472 GB, Partition Type: Ext4 (version 1.0), In use: Yes, mounted at /home), OS version: 3.5.0-17-generic, KDE SC version: 4.9.2, GCC version: no gcc detected, Xorg version: 1.13.0 (08 October 2012 03:34:01PM)

What else do you need to know?
      Kind regards, Sigurd
      Last edited by SigurdF; Oct 29, 2012, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SigurdF View Post
        I did not check the MD5 sum. But k3b verified the burned ISO file on DVD as okay.
        That just means that it burnt what you told it to, not that what you told it to burn was correct. Check the MD5 sum of the iso to make sure it is not corrupt.

In the past I have found k3b's verification to be useless, it has failed when the cd was finr and succeeded when the cd was broken.

Do an md5sum on the iso and run the disk checker on the live cd (it use to be one of the boot options, but I haven't checked in a while).

Comment

Sir,
          This is no explanation why I get always the same problems not matter how I do the Upgrade. And it is no solution!
          Is there anybody who can advice what to do to solve the problem? The version 12.04 is running excellent. But i would like to stay up to date.
          Kind regards, Sigurd

Comment

I would suggest you try downloading a new ISO (ISO could have errors) And doing a fresh install again.

As for staying up to date. Use 12.04 it is LTS and will be up to date for 5 years (I think) If you see something about 12.10 you like I am sure you/we could find a way to install it.
            Last edited by Robtygart; Oct 29, 2012, 02:29 PM.
            Rob

Comment

If 12.04 was working fine for you, there's no reason to re-install. You can upgrade to the next release with this command:
              Code:
              sudo do-release-upgrade

Comment

as Robtygart said if 12.04 LTS works great stick with it, it is supported up to 5 years. And almost all the features in any Ubuntu release get put into the backport PPA. So you will have the support you want and feature set, like 4.9 could be used on 12.04 with a PPA.
                ahoneybun on IRC / aaronhoneycutt on Launchpad

Kubuntu Council Member
                Kubuntu Podcast Host

sigpic

Comment

Sounds similar to problems I have been having. I had 12.04 running without any problems on this pc. I have a spare partition on the pc that I installed Bodhi linux on and then did a fresh install of 12.10 64 on the partition I used to have 12.04 on.

I first started getting problems with the Bodhi install. Error messages saying I didn't have permissions to write to files. These appeared concerning automatic writing of config files as in the op. On reboot it went into a disk check and found errors and wouldn't boot. Then similar problems started in 12.10 kubuntu. Opera reported that it couldn't save bookmarks then rekonq couldn't save its ***rc config file. It also displayed a message saying there were problems with the whole drive, contact sytem admin etc. A reboot started a disk check which repaired a few files and it then successfully booted but obviously I don't trust what state it is in.

Having had similar issues with two installs on seperate partitions I thought it was probably the hd failing. However, windows reports the disk is ok and I have run the full disk check using the manufacturers utility and that also says there are no errors with the drive.

Unfortunately I had deleted the 12.04 kubuntu 64 iso but I have installed ubuntu 12.04 32 on the partition that had Bodhi installed and it has been running now for about a day and a half without any problems.

I did wonder whether it may be connected to this bug in the kernel http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTIxNDQ . Both Bodhi and 12.10 use 3.5 kernels and having installed 2 systems I was rebooting frequently. However, the OPs post is the first I have seen with similar problems.

Comment

Hi,
                    Thank you very much for your comments. Great (I meant not great for bailout) that bailout has very similar problems. I already thought that I am stupid.
                    So, I am back to Kubuntu 12.04 LTS and again it is running excellent. I found a website with instructions to install Gimp 2.8. It worked fine and I will get updates too. There is a small problem with LibreOffice. Kubuntu 12.04 keeps the version 3.5.4.2. But there is already a new version 4.6.*. I found the followings instructions to install it:

How to install LibreOffice 3.6 on Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Debian...

This article describes how to install LibreOffice 3.6 on Debian-based / Ubuntu-based Linux distributions, such as Linux Mint, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Debian and Ubuntu. This installation method is based on the official .deb packages.
                    August 8, 2012: LibreOffice 3.6 has been released.
                    LibreOffice 3.7 is scheduled to be released on February 2013. Find more information on LibreOffice 3.7 release dates on the official release plan.
                    Summary
                    A. Remove previous LibreOffice installations
                    B. Install LibreOffice 3.6
                    C. Uninstall LibreOffice
                    D. Comments

A. Remove bundled LibreOffice
                    LibreOffice 3.6 can be installed alongside of Libre Office 3.5, but conflicts may occur when trying to install the desktop-integration (debian-menus) package.
                    The desktop-integration package is not mandatory, but provides menu shortcuts for LibreOffice. If you don't install desktop-integration, you can launch LibO with the following command:
                    libreoffice3.6
                    or
                    /opt/libreoffice3.6/program/soffice
                    If you're installing a development release (Beta), you can launch it with the following command:
                    lodev3.6
                    To remove prior installations of LibreOffice:
                    sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
                    If you also want to remove LibO configuration files, use the purge switch:
                    sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice-core

B. Install LibreOffice
                    Step 1 of 3 – Download compressed packages
                    Download LibreOffice 3.6 from the official downlad page:
                    www.libreoffice.org/download/
                    Select Linux x86 (deb) for 32 bits systems or Linux x64 (deb) for 64 bits systems.
                    This how-to supposes that the downloaded file (and laguage packs) is saved in the "Downloads" directory situated in your home directory.
                    Download as many language packs as you need.

Step 2 of 3 – Extract the .deb packages
                    The downloaded file is a compressed .tar.gz archive. In case you want to learn more on these extensions: tar, gzip. To extract this juicy archive, open the “Downloads” directory. Look for a file named:
                    LibO_3.6.0_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz* or
                    LibO_3.6.0_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
                    right-click on it and select "extract here ". Repeat the extraction process for all language packs. The .tar.gz archive(s) can now be deleted.

Step 3 of 3 – Install .deb packages
                    Open a terminal.
                    Change the current directory to the location of the .deb packages:
                    cd ~/Downloads/LibO_3.6.2.2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
                    or for the 64 bits version:
                    cd ~/Downloads/LibO_3.6.2.2_Linux_x86-64_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
                    (No need to write everything: use Tab ↹ to autocomplete the command line, or copy and paste with the middle-click mouse button)
                    Finally, install all .deb packages:
                    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
                    LibreOffice is now installed, but the program shortcuts still don't appear in the menu. Move to the “desktop-integration” subdirectory and install the desktop-integration package:
                    cd desktop-integration
                    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
                    In case you're installing language packs, repeat the cd and dpkg steps for each language pack.
                    You're done! No need to restart, LibreOffice 3.6 is ready to be used.

C. Uninstall LibreOffice
                    If you want to remove LibreOffice, use the following command:
                    sudo apt-get remove libreoffice3.6*
                    If you want to remove a development (beta) version of LibreOffice, use the following command:
                    sudo apt-get remove lodev*
                    By Johannes Eva, January 2011 – August 2012
                    ... Updated on August 8, 2012: LibreOffice 3.5.4 → 3.6.0
                    Read also:
                    How to install Firefox on any Linux distribution (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, ...)
                    How to set default programs on Linux Mint or Ubuntu
                    This article has been linked on Ubuntu News, Debian News, fsdaily.com, Linux Today and some more...

This is working. But LibreOffice 4.6.* looks like under Windows 95 (gray buttons, lines between the button bars). I guess there is no gtk integration. Am I right? Is it possible to install LibreOffice 4.6.* in a way that it looks fine (like under Kubuntu 12.10)? And in February 2013 probably another new version of LibreOffice will be released.

Again thank you for all your comments,
                    Sigurd

Comment

Originally posted by SigurdF View Post
                      This is working. But LibreOffice 4.6.* looks like under Windows 95 (gray buttons, lines between the button bars). I guess there is no gtk integration. Am I right? Is it possible to install LibreOffice 4.6.* in a way that it looks fine (like under Kubuntu 12.10)? And in February 2013 probably another new version of LibreOffice will be released.
                      The package libreoffice-style-oxygen provides the KDE look. I don't know whether it will cooperate with the way you've installed LO 3.6. You can run a simulated install:

Code:
                      apt-get --simulate install libreoffice-style-oxygen
                      If you see no errors in the output, the do it for real:

Code:
                      sudo apt-get install libreoffice-style-oxygen
                      You might need to remove any other LO style packages. Not sure if multiple of them can coexist.

Comment

Hallo Sigurd

I think, if you do all your updates like you try to tell us of a LibreOffice 4.6, I do not wonder your upgrades are not working properly.

My setup, which worked first class from the start:
                        up to 1 week ago: sdb1 Kubuntu 12.04 cracked due to some errors from my side, sdb2 empty partition, sdb3 Kubuntu 12.04 in perfect order for the last 4 months. Then I decided not to touch the LTS-12.04 but to keep it just in case of difficulties. (All my user files are on sda in 5 partitions, none of them in /home/arran.) I then installed 12.10 directly from the DVD onto sdb1and everything (well most) are running smooth and well. and in less than 1 day I had a working 12.10 for most applications. The only problem is with Kaffeine and satellite TV, all stations on Astra run perfect, the ones on Hotbird not at all. Annoying.

So, my suggestion: reinstall 10.04 (if you did not yet), configure it to your needs and keep this installation for the next five years. Then make a second partition and install from the DVD version 12.10. If you still have problems, you really have to redownload the ISO again.

By the way: my 12.10 has installed out of the Box LibreOffice 3.6.2.2 directly from the sources. And Gimp 2.8.2 too. Ergo non of your complicated way which finally will not upgrade when something new arrives. I stopped doing these last minute upgrades and wait for the repos (incl. the backport) or use stable PPA's. Important for Scribus and Gimp
                        Last edited by Arran; Oct 30, 2012, 11:26 AM.
                        Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                        I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
                          So, my suggestion: reinstall 10.04 (if you did not yet), configure it to your needs and keep this installation for the next five years.
                          I would not recommend this for modern desktops. You might run into problems with graphics drivers, as 10.04 is unlikely to have recent backports. Furthermore, hardly any packages are compiled against Lucid these days.

Comment

Hi Steve,
                            You are right. When I install LibreOffice 4.6 as described above I miss the Oxygen style. There is only Tango and Human available. I will install LO 4.6 and try it with the installation of the
                            Oxygen-Style as you said above. I am grateful about your help.
                            Kind regards, Sigurd

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              I would not recommend this for modern desktops. You might run into problems with graphics drivers, as 10.04 is unlikely to have recent backports. Furthermore, hardly any packages are compiled against Lucid these days.
                              Sorry, a classical typo. I have of course a 12.04 and 12.10 parallel installation.
                              Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                              I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Working...
                              X