This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable UEFI??

I just bought a new MB/CPU & RAM from Newegg, and I'm working on getting the system together.

I typically dual boot Win7 and Kubuntu.

Yesterday I started the Win7 installation first.

The initial installation was successful. However after I installed the drivers from the MB CD, I started having problems booting.

After flashing the message to "hit del for options", it would produce a fail message. My only two choices were to "repair the computer" or to "boot normally".

Selecting "boot normally" worked, so I pressed on and once in the system, I let Win7 download and install the assorted 124 updates.

Rebooting after that now locks me out of the computer. "repairing the computer" has no effect, and "boot normally" throws me back to the same menu.

I figure I've run afoul of the whole UEFI business.

This is my first experience dealing with UEFI, and I'm still trying to figure it all out.

(never got to the Kubuntu install!)

So my question is, how do I (if possible) completely disable this whole UEFI thing?

Below is the link to my MB from ASUS. Browsing the MB manual I haven't seen any sort of option for "Legacy Mode" yet.

Also - I have no problem deleting and reinstalling the win7 if needed. I haven't progressed beyond the fresh install.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...MCSM/#overview

If I'm reading your post correctly, you were able to install Windows, and then troubles began when you installed the Windows utilities from the CD included with your motherboard.

I'd suggest downloading the latest software directly from Asus -- it could be more up-to-date than the CD (yes, this happens). Install Windows again, completely wiping everything that's on the hard drive now. Then, install the Asus utilities from the download. (Obviously, you'll need to save the download on a USB drive.)

Comment

Steve- correct. Once the initial Win7 install was completed, I noticed that there was no drivers for the LAN on the MB.

So without thinking I just stuck the CD in, installed all the drivers, and the troubles began.

Side note - I've never installed Kubuntu and had to do something extra to get the LAN working. It always "just worked"!

Once my new PSU arrives, I'll frag it and start over. Thanks for the intel.

Another side note - how will Kubuntu 12.04.1 handle this UEFI?

Comment

Working...
      X