X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for young people

YOUNG PEOPLE

YOU have "heard it all" from all those OLD PEOPLE.....

Soooooo......here is the "real skinny" from an OLD GUY.

Guys

You will NOT "get lucky" with ANY barkeep.....those women have heard it all....

You will NOT "get lucky" with a woman "in a bar" unless she has a little friend to give you that you will have for the rest of your life, no matter what the lefty elites try to tell you to get your vote.

Gurls

You will not meet the "guy of your dreams" in a bar, but you will meet plenty of guys that are more than willing to:

a) let you have a kid that he will disavow
    b) give you a "little friend" that he got from SOME OTHER GURL
    c) let you drive him to his apartment so he can vomit in your car.

So.....

Moral to the story.

The best path for a REAL RELATIONSHIP is:

a) Do not try to get into bed with the girl or guy of the night, especially when you are drugged up or drunk
    b) Maybe actually try to meet a "nice" person in:

i) bookstore
    ii) coffee shop
    iii) church social
    iv) yoga class
    v) jogging/marathon/whatever for a cause/ runner
    vi) Wal-Mart in the clothing section, because that person was WORKING and might actually have a LIFE....that is PRODUCTIVE....
    vii) trade school/community college/ college / university WHO WAS NOT A COMPLETE NERD...OR A .......YEECH.......... Sophisticated elite, kewl guy, (notice that there is not problem with a sophisticated kewl WOMAN/GIRL) ..actually on the face of it ... a nerd meeting a nerd...ok...GO FOR IT...
    viii) a person in FBLA/FACS/FFA/SIFE......
    ix) U.S.A. dance....... if he or she can actually INTERACT with you on a dance floor over three MONTHS.......then go to Waffle House after the dance...and see where it goes...GO FOR IT!!!!!

Please notice that this post does not mention a dating site.

If anyone has actually met someone at a dating site and become married to that person, as opposed to living in a "liberated relationship", please so post.

woodOLDGUYsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
    i)
    ii)
    iii)
    iv)
    v)
    vi)
    vii)
    viii)
    ix)
    x) A Linux forum?
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
      x) A Linux forum?
      A good place for nerdy poofters only.
      Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

This is very good advice!!

BIG +1

Comment

GUYS I had NOT thought about that!! YES a Linux FORUM!!! lol

Although any romances would probably, of necessity, be long distance!

But, great idea!

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

woodsmoke
            But, for a relationship between two true nerds a remote control app will be more than sufficient... Sex is all mental anyway... just think of the joy you'd experience letting her control your keyboard from afar!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Note to us Old Farts:

Young people never really listen to old ones about life, the universe, and everything. They have to learn and experience it. Us telling them these sorts of (mostly) true adages goes in one ear and out the other

As to meeting the man of your dreams in a bar, well tell that to my sister-in-law, she'll laugh at you silly and reminisce on the tale that is about 25 years old now........

As to the internet, I know I will bet trashed for saying it, but nowadays with high speed connections, voip and video capabilities and various social aspects to the 'net that have evolved, the online component cannot be downplayed anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by rms View Post
                nerdy poofters
                That's redundant.

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                As to the internet, I know I will bet trashed for saying it, but nowadays with high speed connections, voip and video capabilities and various social aspects to the 'net that have evolved, the online component cannot be downplayed anymore.
                The Atlantic Monthly: Is Facebook making us lonely? -- good read.

Comment

There is medical evidence (studies) that show that for some autistic's, social interaction over the Internet is actually beneficial, as it provides a medium for personal interaction that is 'safe'. Other groups of people benefit as well. Those who suffer from extreme agoraphobia are able to 'communicate/socialize' in safety from their self imposed cloistered environment.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

GUYS I had NOT thought about that!! YES a Linux FORUM!!! lol

But, great idea!

woodsmoke
                    Nowm if there are any single ladies 'round here...
                    The unjust distribution of goods persists, creating a situation of social sin that cries out to Heaven and limits the possibilities of a fuller life for so many of our brothers. -- Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Buenos Aires (now Pope Francis)

Comment

xi) Clubs connected with your hobby. (Rockhound gals I've known are pretty nice, good values, not heavily into bs, show, or materialism, got their head screwed on fairly right and tight.)

Not a coincidence that Bukowski is a favorite of mine. Following a divorce, I did my time for a few years (four is a "few," right?) as a (principled) barfly. (Defn.: paid my bills on time; avoided those drunk-night excursions into a stranger's bed, or worse bringing one home.) However, I did witness a half dozen good friends couple-up permanently in really good relationships with really good people (men & women). It's a low-probability event, in my experience, it takes time to develop and cultivate within the bar atmosphere, but it can happen.

Problem is, "quality control" because of
                      (quote woodOLDGUYsmoke): "(a) Do not try to get into bed with the girl or guy of the night, especially when you are drugged up or drunk."

I've seen it happen to the very best of guys and gals. So, ya gotta be tough and suck it up, knowing each other's indiscretions within your bar scene, and there is the factor of that "little friend" one/both of you may have taken home one night (from someone else).

As for that "little friend" that indiscriminate excursions can leave you with, interestingly, 50+ boomers are at high risk for STDs, as you probably already know from recent studies done on it (and it's not "just" hep C).

One more thing about OP ... just gurls and guys? what of guy-guy, gurl-gurl, gurl/tranny with [guy; or gurl/[tranny][straight]], ... oh geez, I don't have time to type all this out ...
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Qqmike

GOOD point about the hobby clubs, had not thought of it at all.

As to the variants, I had not even throught of it since I'm somewhat of a classicist! lol

woodsmoke
                        sigpic
                        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          Indeed not! My son met a gal online 10 years ago and they are still going strong. I spent all day with their child, my 6 year old grandson! We played Mario on the WII, ate at Subway, went to see the new exhibits at the http://www-museum.unl.edu/ (He's a shark and dinosaur fan), then we went to the park and played on the jungle gym, swing set, rockers and such. :cool: When we got back there was time for more videos before dad picked him up. (It's taken most of this day for me to recover!)
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; May 26, 2012, 04:10 PM.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Guys

You will NOT "get lucky" with ANY barkeep.....those women have heard it all....

You will NOT "get lucky" with a woman "in a bar" unless she has a little friend to give you that you will have for the rest of your life, no matter what the lefty elites try to tell you to get your vote.

Gurls

You will not meet the "guy of your dreams" in a bar, but you will meet plenty of guys that are more than willing to:

a) let you have a kid that he will disavow
                            b) give you a "little friend" that he got from SOME OTHER GURL
                            c) let you drive him to his apartment so he can vomit in your car.
                            As an afterthought, boys&girls could be visiting places where alcoholic beverages are served because they are aware that "wine makes a boy/girl more so". It takes no time/risk to see, behind fences, who you're dealing with over a bottle when compared to sober dating for longer periods, only to find out what a pretending prick he/she really is. Such a disappointing drag.

Added bonus is that liqueur really makes people much more sociable although I'm not trying to justify the booze and abuse of it.

But, as you pin-pointed, every plus has it's own minus and the risks you've enumerated are real and should be considered and weighed in advance.
                            Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

This is all about family.
                              A healthy and functioning family is the foundation and shaping attitudes of young people.
                              When father and mother each other respects, they are the example for their children, talk about problems with their children.
                              Explain to them that what television and internet offers to them is actually just a pretty shell under with an rotten unstable core under it.
                              Father and mother are responsible for whether their child will be just another member of the dull-minded consumer society or durable thinking personality.

Comment

Working...
                              X