This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
    What first attracted me a power user I suppose was just the simple things in Dolphin and the Image viewer(gwenview). In comparison to Nauutilus and Image Viewer you have so much more power and options and it does it well. You can get the correct button widget with Kwin Button

Another thing I did to see how far I could easily customize KDE was immetate the Unity interface I love so much. I used the plasma-widget-menu on the top and also made it so all maximized windows would loose borders. This made it nearly fullscreen ... a good feature of the KDE panels is the fact that you can also auto hide which makes all apps full screen. I then easily added the Unity side bar......
    Sounds interesting! Can you post a screen shot of your DE?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      It's in the same mess it was in before I gave them the demo.
      Bwahahahaha!

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
      Any way...just wanted to tell you I'm a new KDE guy...
      And welcome to KFN.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Sounds interesting! Can you post a screen shot of your DE?
        Here is a screen

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I don't have the KWin Buttons on at the moment because I am using version 4.7 and need to upgrade to 4.8, but there are other examples of people using them.

Here are some links to similar setups

Last edited by Goddard; May 02, 2012, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Or it is also the fact that a major LTS version of Kubuntu is out, and is getting favorable comments, etc? Wait a few days to see how it settles down. We always spike at release time, and the current situation has spiked interest in us.
          As of this moment, May 2, 2012 @06:43 PM, DW now reports Kubuntu ranked at 28. From 5 back down to 28? Tells me that DW observed, and then adjusted, tweaked count data.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I think the position 5 ranking was for last 7 days.
            Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Um, I thought none of us here were supposed to care about DW's rankings?

Comment

We don't. Right?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Right! :cool:

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

OK, ladies, then quit your whining about "falling" down from #5!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      OK, ladies, then quit your whining about "falling" down from #5!
                      lol, men!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        As of this moment, May 2, 2012 @06:43 PM, DW now reports Kubuntu ranked at 28. From 5 back down to 28? Tells me that DW observed, and then adjusted, tweaked count data.
                        Seems so to me as well. Which, IMO, is one reason why the DW page-hit-ranking system is so worthless as a measure of a distro's popularity. On what additional, or different, data does DW use to "tweak" a ranking? And, if that "other" data is so trustworthy why isn't it part of the system already? Add to that the fact that Windows users on DW slightly out number Linux users one can so that any distro ranking is subject to pranking. It reminds me of the "piling on" that occurred when KDE 4.0 was released. Folks who used other distros or Windows were jumping into talkbacks with derogatory comments just to make the "backlash" seem larger than it was. Similar activity was observed on the Unity protest.

The ONLY data of any significant value on DW is the ratio of the number of overall Windows users to the number of overall Linux users, which is about 1 to 1.

Consider the following and notice how small the percentages of each of the "favorite" distros are when compared with "unknown":

Linux 3573137 44.9 %
                        Zenwalk GNU Linux 440 0 %
                        Vine Linux 145 0 %
                        VectorLinux 296 0 %
                        Ubuntu 283859 3.5 %
                        Suse 11955 0.1 %
                        Red Hat 4743 0 %
                        PCLinuxOS 3267 0 %
                        Momonga Linux 37 0 %
                        Mandriva (or Mandrake) 5861 0 %
                        Gentoo 1317 0 %
                        Fedora 9229 0.1 %
                        Debian 16617 0.2 %
                        Centos 3493 0 %
                        Google Android 85954 1 %
                        GNU Linux (Unknown or unspecified distribution) 3145924 39.6 %
                        Ubuntu is the ONLY SPECIFIC distro with a significant number of IDENTIFIED users. The page hit rankings are determined when a browser clicks on a link associated with a particular distro. But, what distro is being used by the person doing the browsing shows some interesting proportions. 283,859 were using Ubuntu based distros (which could include Kubuntu and its siblings), 16,617 used Debian, 11,955 used SUSE, and the rest were less than half of the number of SUSE users. IOW, PCLinuxOS users numbered only 1% of the Ubuntu users.

BUT, there were 11 times as many unidentified versions of LInux as there were versions identified as Ubuntu. Not picking on PCLinuxOS, but there are over 1,000 times as many users of unknown versions as there are PCLinuxOS users.

DW shows 3.5 million Linux users. Of all the Linux users in the world, how many visit DW? 1 out of a 100? Or less?
                        Last edited by GreyGeek; May 03, 2012, 09:41 AM.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          On DW, that has already been accomplished, with Kubuntu sitting at Number 5 in their ranking. How did this happen? Well, in my opinion, they (Blue Systems) did it with bots. I see no other way that Kubuntu moved from number 25 (?) to number 5 so quickly.
                          Funny you should mention that...

I listened in to the mintcast podcast yesterday and they mentioned a poll on the Mint forums with, as they put it, "manipulated results";

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1985

They also went on to say that Clement has some real concerns for the ongoing viability of the Cinnamon and Mate desktop environments, built on Gnome3 which he believes is exhibiting all the development signs of rapidly transforming itself into yet another tablet interface.

And so for the conspiracy theorists among us at least, this snippet from Aleix Pol, a BlueSystems sponsored developer;

"Regarding BlueSystems, there actually are more than 3 KDE developers employed. Keep tuned, awesome things are being baked! - 30 April 2012"

Now is he talking out of his @#!* or does he (and perhaps others) know more than they're telling?

Comment

I've been giving this some thought and I think I might try an experiment.

The smallest usb stick upon which I have been able to install "a Linux" is a 4 gig generic with Bodhi.

The suggestion below about giving out usb sticks kept circling in my mind and even though it would not be Kubuntu, I'm considering doing some ferreting about to find some absolutely low dollar 4 gig usb sticks, maybe twenty or so, installing Bodhi on them and working out some kind of way to give them to my students next semester, first week of class, maybe putting out a thing that if there is anybody that wants to step out of the box and do something silly stay after class.

Then I'd explain what I would give them, warn them that it could completely destroy their system, get a signed agreement in their BLOOD that they wouldn't hold me accountable and give them the stick to try as a live OS.

thoughts?

woodsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                              The smallest usb stick upon which I have been able to install "a Linux" is a 4 gig generic with Bodhi.
                              I'm thinking Enlightenment might be a little too foreign to those used to a Windows or Mac environment. Maybe elementaryOS

USB Requirements here

The suggestion below ...
                              Initially I thought you had no head for direction, until it dawned on me that you filter your threads here, newest at the top...

Then I'd explain what I would give them, warn them that it could completely destroy their system, get a signed agreement in their BLOOD that they wouldn't hold me accountable and give them the stick to try as a live OS.
                              Can the installer be locked or removed to ensure this isn't possible?

Thoughts!

Comment

Possible idea for you, in your Linux Live USB creator thread...

Comment

Working...
                                X