Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to install Nvidia Drivers in Kubuntu???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to install Nvidia Drivers in Kubuntu???

Hello,
    I am using Kubuntu 11.04 32bit along with windows 7 . I want to install Nvidia Drivers for my GTS 450. I tired installing with the help of "Additional Drivers" option and installation completed successfully. But after rebooting it shows that nvidia drivers are installed but not activated. And Nvidia control panel it said driver is installed but Xsever is not configured to use Nvidia Drivers. What should i do I tried downloading drivers from Nvidia Website and installed it still it shows the same error. Plz help me. Please give me STEP BY STEP instructions to do so i am new to linux. How do i configure X server to use nvidia driver ??

it has Plasma 4.6.2
    CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
    Ram- 4 GB DDR2
    MB-Gigabyte G31 ES2L
    HDD: Segate Baracudda 1 TB + Segate Baracudda 500 GB

thnx in advance.

I think you need to set up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf properly.

Open up the terminal and type:

Code:
    sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Enter your password.

Then add the following to the section called Device :
    (if the section isn't present, just type it down at the end of file)
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    	Driver		"nvidia"
    EndSection
    When you are done press CTRL + X to save and close the file.
    Restart and the driver should be working.
    Last edited by jovin; Apr 16, 2012, 08:19 AM.
    "Just keep on learning. Little by little... If you're empty, then you can take in anything. If you want to be reborn, then it's in your best interest to become empty." - Vinland Saga

Comment

The first thing to do is decide which driver set (Kubuntu's or the one's from nvidia's website) and don't ever install both. They do not install to the same location and therefore are not compatible with each other. If you decide to use the nvidia website driver, you will need to get instructions from their forum.

If you decide to use the Kubuntu supplied nvidia driver, make sure your have the kernel headers installed along with the kernel. Then, you can verify the driver is available by typing dkms status in a terminal window. The ouput will have the driver(s) listed and their status. If it says anything other than "installed" the driver is not ready to be used. You must reboot before the driver is available.

Once you have the driver installed, open a terminal again and type sudo nvidia-xconfigure and this should create a usable (but very basic) /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. Then type sudo service kdm restart and you should be up and running after you log back in. You'll see nvidia-settings in your menu under Settings so you can change the resolution if needed and some other basic stuff.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X