X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underwater screensaver possible lesson for folks in "make"

Hi
    There are specific instructions, which are, of course, for us folks who are not CLI people quite beyond us(.....welll ME!! ) for Kubuntu.

I think a LOT of people would like to have this screensaver....because the dolpin in the Atlantis screensaver is SO DA#% IRRITATING!!!!

Anyway, if someone wanted to give a Christmas present to all us Kuburs who don't know how to do it, a specific, step, by step, inch by inch.....slowly turning...sorry that is Niagara Falls! lol

set of instructions I am sure that folks would have a lot of fun getting the saver up and running, at least I would!

Maybe this could be an "exemplar" in how to do it!

http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...?content=95863

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Re: Underwater screensaver possible lesson for folks in "make"

I love it! And I don't even use screensavers.

Its installation was very straightforward but, yes, I'm a CLI gal. I'm going to step back through its installation doing as much as possible with the point-and-click method and post instructions (unless someone beats me to it).
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke
      Anyway, if someone wanted to give a Christmas present to all us Kuburs who don't know how to do it, a specific, step, by step, inch by inch.....slowly turning...sorry that is Niagara Falls! lol

set of instructions I am sure that folks would have a lot of fun getting the saver up and running, at least I would!
      Merry Christmas, woodsmoke! Enjoy.

Select thumbnails for larger images which include instructions.

You must have all of the following installed; use your favorite package manager, such as Synaptic, to search for and install each of them:

build-essential
      cmake
      kdebase-workspace-dev
      libqt4-opengl-dev

Download the tar file from this page at kde-look.org; alternately, you can download copies I stored of the version I used when I wrote these instructions, and/or the now-current version (as of 03/16/12) [which I have not installed].

Note where you download the file.

Using Dolphin, navigate to the directory where you placed the downloaded file; make sure you have its 'terminal' visible: View | Panels | Terminal

Right-click on the KOceanSaver tar file; select Extract archive here, autodetect subfolder.

Click on the newly created KOceanSaver folder to enter it.

In terminal type: sudo cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=/usr CMakeLists.txt

When the previous step finishes, type sudo make install.

From "System Settings" choose "Display and Monitor."

KOceanSaver should now appear in your list of screensavers.

Choose "Setup" to configure it as you like.

Enjoy the end result!
      Last edited by DoYouKubuntu; Mar 16, 2012, 09:09 PM. Reason: Added alternate download links for old[er] and new[er] versions
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

DYK

thank you most muchly for the how to.

It will be my screensaver of choice for the forseeable future. AND...I learned 'suthin!!

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

You're welcome, woody. It's a lovely screensaver--I just don't happen to use them myself. But it was fun stepping through the process, and then repeating the steps via GUI, to post instructions. I'm glad you learned something AND have that lovely screensaver running.

Comment

I updated my earlier post--added alternate download links for the tar file(s).

Comment

yes it was a learning experience for moi and it runs nicely.

thanks again.

woodsmoke
              sigpic
              Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
              X