X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenSUSE like sysinfo in Kubuntu.

Hello Kubuntu users,

I moved to Kubuntu recently after using Ubuntu for a year and I am loving KDE.
    Today I saw OpenSUSE installed on a friend's laptop and noticed that there's "My Computer" icon in OpenSUSE which is quite handy, displaying very useful system information.
    After some research, I found this link on kde-apps.org:

http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php...?content=98808

But the installation halts with an error at cmake.
    Below is the output after I type cmake... command

inder@inder-laptop:~/Desktop/sysinfo-2.0/build$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config –prefix` ..
    kde4-config: Unexpected argument '–prefix'.
    kde4-config: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.
    CMake Error: The source directory "/home/inder/Desktop/sysinfo-2.0" does not appear to contain CMakeLists.txt.
    Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

I would greatly appreciate any help from You guys.

Thank You in advance for Your time and replies.
    Laptop: T6600 2.2, 3GB DDR3, 320GB, Intel X4500MHD, Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64, Kubuntu 10.04 x86_64, Windows Vista 32-bit.<br /><br />Desktop: AMD 5000+, 4GB DDR2, 250GB, NVidia 9800GT, Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64, OpenSUSE 11.3 x86_64, Windows Vista 32-bit.

Re: OpenSUSE like sysinfo in Kubuntu.

The first step would be to replace the dash (–) before "prefix" with a hyphen-minus char (-):
    Code:
    cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config -prefix` ..
    The second step is to ensure your "build" directory is in the directory that contains CMakeLists.txt file (or adjust cmake path accordingly)

Comment

@kubicle

Thanx for the reply Mate.

The problem persists. An error message occurs, as displayed below, when I type the command.

inder@inder-laptop:~/Desktop/sysinfo-2.0/src/build$ cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=`kde4-config -prefix` ..
      CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:7 (kde4_add_plugin):
      Unknown CMake command "kde4_add_plugin".

CMake Warning (dev) in CMakeLists.txt:
      No cmake_minimum_required command is present. A line of code such as

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

should be added at the top of the file. The version specified may be lower
      if you wish to support older CMake versions for this project. For more
      information run "cmake --help-policy CMP0000".
      This warning is for project developers. Use -Wno-dev to suppress it.

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

The build directory is in the directory that contains CMakelists.txt file. I tried adding "cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)" at the top of the CMakelists.txt file! to see if it works. But it didn't worked out.

Thanx for Your time Sir.
      Laptop: T6600 2.2, 3GB DDR3, 320GB, Intel X4500MHD, Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64, Kubuntu 10.04 x86_64, Windows Vista 32-bit.<br /><br />Desktop: AMD 5000+, 4GB DDR2, 250GB, NVidia 9800GT, Ubuntu 10.04 x86_64, OpenSUSE 11.3 x86_64, Windows Vista 32-bit.

Comment

Check the CMakeLists.txt file, and if it doesn't have a line like:
        find_package(KDE4 REQUIRED)
        add it to the beginning of the file.

If that doesn't help or you get other errors (you don't have to worry about the 'cmake_minimum_required' warning, it's a developer notification and shouldn't affect building), post back. (you might need to install some -dev packages...if you haven't already installed them)

Another option is to install a precompiled package from (for example) rog's ppa (rog is a kubuntuforum regular with an excellent ppa repository)...the package is named kio-sysinfo, and you can grab the installable .deb file (i386 or amd64), or add the ppa as a repository with "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:samrog131".

Comment

That helped!

I added the repository and installed it via package manager.
          Working perfectly !
          Thanx a lot for Your replies. I appreciate Your help Sir.

Comment

I just installed this from the .deb file, but how do I use it? I can't seem to find it any where....
            Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5.2<br />Gateway MT6840<br />Intel Core Duo T2450 2.0GHz<br />1GB RAM

Comment

I just installed this from the .deb file, but how do I use it? I can't seem to find it any where....

If it is from the > PPA for Rog131

Should be K > Applications > System > My Computer
              or
              Start the Konqueror and type:
              Code:
              sysinfo:/

Code:
              apt cache show kio-sysinfo
              Description: a KDE IO Slave - 'My Computer'
              KIO Sysinfo is a KDE IO Slave, sysinfo:/, used for the 'My Computer'
              icon on openSUSE desktops. It displays Folders, Hard Disks, Removable Devices,
              System Information and more to give the user a nice overview.
              Originally: http://en.opensuse.org/KIO_Sysinfo
              This is a svn snapshot from the http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playgrou...e/kio_sysinfo/.
              There was a report with the earlier version (Jaunty): Could lock the system with
              the amd64.
              The info sheet (css and background images) can be found from the /usr/share/kde4/apps/sysinfo/about.
              [img width=400 height=383]http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/5679/mycomputer.png[/img]
              Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
              1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
              2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

And then you can add a launcher and make it open up sysinfo:/ when you click it Or if you don't use Konqueror as your default browser, you can just make it your homepage, so every time you open Konqueror, it displays sysinfo
                Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

It's working fine, I kind of like it even if it's being displayed on Konqueror.
                  Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
                  Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                  Win / & 10 sadly
                  Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Nice work Rog! Just installed. Very nice indeed.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But there's no way to get this to show up in Dolphin?
                      Kubuntu 10.10 with KDE 4.5.2<br />Gateway MT6840<br />Intel Core Duo T2450 2.0GHz<br />1GB RAM

Comment

Why would you expect it would? Dolphin is a file manager, not a browser. The KIO Sysinfo presents it's information via a web page interface.

Comment

Dolphin does support many kioslave functions, but not sysinfo (yet)

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, that makes sense

Comment

Will this work in rekonq?

Comment

Working...
                              X