This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Command line kungfu

Interesting command line tips for intermediate to advanced command line usage:
    http://www.commandlinefu.com/command.../sort-by-votes

(I dare you to go through them and not pick up something useful and new )

Re: Command line kungfu

Nice. I found the ctrl-x e command interesting. In fact, running Ubuntu Jaunty, this executes the nano editor. I'm more familiar with vi, so I Googled on howto set default text editor in jaunty gnome and came across Change The Default Editor. Used that to change the default text editor to vim.tiny.

Thanks kubicle. I took your dare and 'picked up something useful and new.'
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Awesome site!

I found an ffmpeg command that records my desktop at 114 fps, even when I run SecondLife and other graphics intensive applications. VERY NICE!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Wow.

I feel so small and ignorant now ....

Thanks kubicle.

Comment

Yep, looks pretty neat (although I'm just a GUI guy in drag).

Added as an advanced reference for my how-to (SECTION 3: REFERENCES):
          Commands at Konsole: Beginners
          http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0966#msg120966
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

For beginners, huh?

Now you are making me feel like Dibl feels!

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Ha!

I try to avoid Konsole whenever possible. And, as a math-type, I tend not to memorize details, preferring to focus on concepts, a lesson I learned studying under the acclaimed Paul Halmos at Indiana U/Bloomington in 1973. I wrote that how-to for myself, so I could look things up as needed, dressed it up, and posted it, figuring I'm not the only beginner here who could use such. Whenever I use Konsole, I'm an expert on it--for the few days only that I'm working on THAT specific project and methods; then it's all forgotten in a month or so. And then there's times you gotta use it, so it seems; for example, to get that darned Trash emptied when GUI trips. And there ya go.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

That was my approach on Physics and Calc, too. And on computer languages.

then it's all forgotten in a month or so.
                So true, and so sad. The unfortunate thing, at least for me, is that at 68 I find I cannot learn as quickly as I used to because my once legendary photographic memory is now a faint memory. If I leave anything for a month or two I have to almost relearn it from scratch.

Comment

Thanks for the link kubicle. Like others, I too have trouble remembering a lot of commands. The reason I still use CLI DOS is that I've been doing it for a long time and can more easily remember stuff that I use continuously. I hope as time goes by that I can reach a similar "critical mass" with Linux. That is, I use it enough to remember it.

The important thing to me is that the commands stay the same over time. I find it difficult to memorize the icons used in GUIs. There are on-line dictionaries and translators for hieroglyphics, but not for computer icons. I guess that won't be possible until the constantly changing icons settle down a bit.

BTW, looking at that wonderful list of commands, does anyone know what the equivalent GUI clicks would be?

Comment

Awesome! Thanks kubicle

I keep a Konsole window open at all times. I use the command line for almost everything. I almost never start programs from the K menu, preferring to use the Run command (Alt-F2) dialog.

There are some instances where I use the GUI. For example, arbitrarily selecting files based on size from a folder containing over 200 files. Yeah, it definitely can be done from the command line, but it is just easier to use Konqueror's details view to do the job.
                    Welcome newbies!
                    Verify the ISO
                    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                    X