This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie with a couple of questions, and issues

Hi folks, I am a bit of a Kubuntu newb. I started off with Ubuntu, then just installed the KDE package on top of that. I have a few questions, and also a few issues.

1: Shortly after installing Kubuntu and getting it how I like it, I got a notification saying that a newer version of Kubuntu was available, I installed my version from the terminal, so I assumed it would install the latest version by default. I am sat on the fence about installing a new version since I am very happy with how my current version looks (and I tried a couple of the versions before doing a full install, so I know that they can differ quite bit from version to version) Do I really need the newer version as long as I keep on top of the system updates?

2: I tried installing google earth the other day, and failed. Not sure what went wrong but now every time I open the software center I get a pop up with the message:

New software cannot be installed because there is a problem with the software currently installed”

Repair” or “Cancel”

So I click on repair...and get a new pop up...

Requires installation of untrusted packages”

OK” or “Repair”

Clicking on OK brings up the password prompt, clicking on repair does not appear to do anything. Upon entering the password, the same message about untrusted packages pops up and I just go round in circles after that.

3: I have read that Linux based systems are less prone to viruses and direct attacks, but I am wondering if I should still install a firewall and AV software as a precaution.

Thanks in advance

System specs;

Packard Bell EasyNote TE69KB laptop
    CPU: AMD A4-5000
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD8330
    RAM: 4GB DDR3
    HDD: 500GB
    Installation type: Dual boot

1) Which version do you have? A normal release lasts about a year. An LTS (Long Term Support) version lasts much longer. Check out https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Releases . Depending on what it says you might be better to upgrade while you can.

2) http://www.toontricks.com/2017/07/ub...lation-of.html

3) A firewall is Ok. UFW (Uncomplicated FireWall)? AV software is not really necessary. Use ClamAV if you want.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi and welcome to the forum!

To me you are not a "newb", which to me is an aspersive term. To me you are "new to Kubuntu".

Again, welcome!

woodsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thank you for the welcome guys, yes I suppose I'm not a total newb...problem solved by the way

I'll give UFW a try

Comment

Also install the UFW GUI as well. It has a ton of presets for various apps and games as well, and is IPv6 compliant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by arochester View Post
            ... A normal release lasts about a year...
            It's nine months. 16.10 has stopped getting updates, IIUC.

Regards, John Little
            Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
            X