This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synaptic vs. Muon differences

It's many years ago I used Synaptic as a daily tool because I felt Muon was closer to my wishes and expectations.
    Via Muon I had enabled the repository.

The first update told me Muon was no longer supported and I shrugged it off as I can do updates through the CLI and maybe install Synaptic.

After a few days I lost the plasmashell (parts of the desktop), something that can be expected using such cutting edge software, again no problem because I like to fix things.
    A new update two days later has restored the plasmashell (libKF5screen.so.6)

Via Alt+Space and Alt+F2 I could still use most functions and decided to install and run Synaptic.
    In Synaptic I did an update via the icin supplied and nothing was available.
    A day later the same, now I also did an
    Code:
    sudo apt-get udate
    via the CLI and was presented with many new packages, a day later I could repeat.

Looking in the available repo's in Synaptic tells me it's not using the same list as Muon did and apt-get in the CLI do.

Is there an elegant way to make these functions agree on the same list or should I just do some brutal Copy&Paste to make them use the same?

install the package software-properties-gtk. This is the Ubuntu-specific python applet that is used to configure software sources, and Synaptic uses that in place of it's built-in tool when it is present. We have an analogue in Kubuntu that Muon/ Discover uses called .....software-properties-kde. You can run that by itself by calling it with kdesudo software-properties-kde. The gtk version will look nearly identical to what you are used to seeing in Muon.

If you look closer, your sources are identical between the 2 tools, they are just presented differently. You are not missing any software using one tool over another.

Also Muon package manager is not really 'no longer supported' it is more of that after splitting Muon, discover, and the updater etc into separate components, there is currently no one who has picked up maintainership of the Package manager component to make it compatible with all the latest Plasma and the new appstream libraries and the like. Or rather the one who has volunteered has been unable to begin work on it.

Comment

Thanks for the gtk tip, I could have expected it but still new to me.
      It added my extra repo's.

Yes I knew about the lack of a skilful and esp. willing and motivated developer for Muon, a regretful state of affairs re. KDE as a whole.

I very much appreciate all the effort going into the changeover to QT5/Plasma5 and see the advantages of such a base for the future.
      Just a pity it doesn't pull more interested developers for what IMO is the last complete DE around.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        install the package software-properties-gtk. This is the Ubuntu-specific python applet that is used to configure software sources, and Synaptic uses that in place of it's built-in tool when it is present. We have an analogue in Kubuntu that Muon/ Discover uses called .....software-properties-kde. You can run that by itself by calling it with kdesudo software-properties-kde. The gtk version will look nearly identical to what you are used to seeing in Muon.

If you look closer, your sources are identical between the 2 tools, they are just presented differently. You are not missing any software using one tool over another.

Also Muon package manager is not really 'no longer supported' it is more of that after splitting Muon, discover, and the updater etc into separate components, there is currently no one who has picked up maintainership of the Package manager component to make it compatible with all the latest Plasma and the new appstream libraries and the like. Or rather the one who has volunteered has been unable to begin work on it.
        The problem with splitting discover and package manager that I find is that discover doesn't seem to have complete list of available s/w packages.

I first noticed this when I recently installed gkrellm after re-installing Kubuntu. Under discover, when I search on 'gkrellm' I get the gkrellm package only - none of the plugins available. When I install package manager and do the same search, I get all of the plugins also.

I just hope that whoever is going to pickup the maintenance of package manager can start soon and keep it up to date since discover isn't really a replacement.

Comment

Oh yes, Muon Discover is sooo pretty it forgot it has a purpose...

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            Oh yes, Muon Discover is sooo pretty it forgot it has a purpose...

KDE Discover binary & library names: https://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasm...ry/048198.html
            Hi everyone!I'd like to start some discussion about the name of the KDE Discover
            binary/library names (not about the name of the thing itself).
            Reason is that the current library and binary names have a few issues.
            At time, Discover publishes a "libdiscover" shared library in a public
            path, and a "muon-discover" binary.
            Keeping the name "muon" in the binary name is IMHO not that great,
            since Muon and Discover are separate products now...

So, possible solutions would be, for the binary:
            1) Keep the name "muon-discover", although there is no connection to
            Muon anymore
            2) Use "plasma-discover"
            3) Use "kde-discover"
            4) Use "kdiscover"
            5) ${ANY_OTHER_NAME}
            Try Me !

Comment

Working...
            X