This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I get x86_64-efi

How do I get to install x86_64-efi for kubuntu 15.04 ?

What do you mean exactly? (If you want UEFI, with GRUB2-EFI, download the 64-bit version of Kubuntu 15.04. Then you need to boot the Kubuntu DVD installer in UEFI mode.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

This is what I had in kubuntu 14.10

bumpy@Peterputer:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$ dir
      grub.cfg grubx64.efi MokManager.efi shimx64.efi
      bumpy@Peterputer:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$ dir
      grub.cfg grubx64.efi MokManager.efi shimx64.efi
      bumpy@Peterputer:/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu$

bumpy@Peterputer:/usr/lib/grub$ dir
      grub-mkconfig_lib x86_64-efi x86_64-efi-signed
      bumpy@Peterputer:/etc$ cat fstab
      # /etc/fstab: static file system information.

I don't have that now, & would like to get it.
      Would you please explain exactly how do I boot the Kubuntu DVD installer in UEFI mode?

Comment

I clipped some text from my how-to's, maybe it is what you are looking for. I assume your computer is new enough to have a UEFI firmware? Looks like it does, as your 14.10 was installed in UEFI mode (not in the older BIOS mode).
        Installing the OS in UEFI mode

Use 64-bit Kubuntu
        Configure your UEFI computer's firmware
        Use GParted to do the partitioning and include an ESP (EFI System Partition)
        Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode and install Kubuntu

--> (1) Must use the 64-bit Kubuntu; and (2) You must boot your Kubuntu installer DVD/USB in UEFI mode.

> Access your computer's UEFI firmware setup: Learn the magic key to press during POST to open the computer's firmware setup menus, including its boot menu(s). (Example: ASUS may be F2) The UEFI firmware acts as a boot manager.

Configure your UEFI firmware: This is up to you and depends on what you want or need.
        (A recent personal example, for easy UEFI booting: CSM (compatibility support module): set to Auto (default)--or just turn it OFF; Disable Secure Boot: Change to “Other O/S”, which disables Secure Boot for the ASUS UEFI; and Disable Fast Boot.) Do this before installing Kubuntu.

Partition the HDD/SSD with GParted: a GPT and include an ESP (EFI System Partition)

GParted version you'll need: "amd64 64-bit version runs on x86-64 based computers, with ability to access more than 4 gigabytes of memory, and supports use of multiple processor cores. For newer (>2010) computers with UEFI instead of legacy BIOS try this one."

Prior to installing Kubuntu, partition the drive using GParted Live CD/USB. Do this as you normally do, note two things: (1) Make a new partition table, type GPT (Device > Create Partition Table); and (2) Make a special partition for the ESP (EFI System Partition: it will contain boot loaders for the computer). It may be anywhere, but keep it simple/standard and, if possible, use the first partition sda1; 100-512 MB (recommended at least 200 MB); FAT 32; in GParted set the boot flag on it (this marks it as the ESP or type EF00); and optionally you may put a label on it. (There will be more on the ESP below, but this is all you need for now.)

Boot the Kubuntu installer in UEFI mode: With the DVD/USB installer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer. Find the boot menu (or boot override menu) where the bootable devices will be listed. Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB (it may also show up as a "normal" DVD/USB choice). Look for UEFI /(FAT) or some reference to UEFI. (Example: a DVD may appear as "UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB)") Select the UEFI DVD or USB option from the firmware boot menu and boot up with it. Now proceed as you usually do to install Kubuntu. If asked where to install GRUB bootloader, simply choose sda (it won't really matter as the installer will automatically identify the proper ESP (EFI System Partition) to use).

How will you know you are booting your OS in UEFI mode?

You probably won't notice it when you boot up. You will probably be greeted with a GRUB boot menu. (If you have just one OS installed, the GRUB menu by default will not appear, and you'll boot directly into your OS. Press the Shift key to see the menu. This is controlled by the user-editable file /etc/default/grub.)

Check to see if you are in UEFI mode:
        > Many newer computers (>2010) come with UEFI firmware.
        > efibootmgr Issue this key EFI command: sudo efibootmgr [-v]. You should see BootOrder and a list of Boot variables.
        > Your /etc/fstab file should contain an ESP = EFI System Partition (mount point: /boot/efi, type EF00, vfat).
        > gdisk See the ESP listed and confirm you have a GPT by issuing the useful EFI command: sudo
        gdisk -l /dev/sda . (You might have to install gdisk using Muon Package Manager, or sudo apt-get install gdisk.)
        > Open /boot/efi (which is the mount point for the ESP) and see your (U)EFI setup: /EFI/ubuntu and inside that folder, see some boot files like grubx64.efi, grub.cfg, etc.
        > Your Kubuntu should use the grub-efi bootloader (not grub-pc). Check /usr/lib/grub -- do you see x86_64.efi[and maybe also -signed]?
        > An installed EFI system and a live system both use the directory /sys/firmware/efi (your firmware Boot variables will be in there).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

WOW! Much appreciated. Big Thanks to you!!

Comment

Working...
          X