X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback on Kubuntu 15.04

Hi all.

I was thinking several days about to give you feedback on the fresh Kubuntu.
    But before I start, I'd like to put you into the context first.

I'm with *buntu since ~2005 or 2006. I started with Ubuntu, but quickly Kubuntu (based on KDE3) caught me until KDE4 came into scene. I loved how things were well integrated, I like sort of holistic view, even in software. After introduction of KDE4 Kubuntu became something unfinished, thus I moved to other available *buntus - Xubuntu, Lubuntu and even elementaryOS (both Luna and Freya lately) - all these flavors ran much better and smoother than Kubuntu for me on my hardware (laptops). But all those ~3 years I was hoping that one day I'll be able to return to Kubuntu - I still was passionate about KDE beauty and power. And recent reviews of Plasma 5 were so promising.

My profile (shortly) - I'm programmer, I'm an IT savvy person (not an expert, but power user), I'm able to figure out problems and fix it myself.

So the day has come and I'm booting to my fresh Kubuntu 15.04 installation. Yeeeessss! It is beautiful, it got style And with each application start things got worse and worse. Laptop's fans started to "sing" and in ~20 minutes PC just witched off (crashed). Restart. Again restart. Same slowness, fans were spinning as hell. Amarok, Kmail, digiKam..... Expectation were (too) high and what disappointment.

Yes, I tried to fix my problems myself, it didn't help. I was about to blame my laptop, but it is hard to believe that PC is the problem - HP EliteBook 2540p (4GB RAM, 4 (?) core CPU, Intel graphics).

I still guess that I'm the problem , but I don't know what to change, what settings would help me. Any chance to Kubuntu-lite ?

Regards
    Artūras

P.S.: went back to Xubuntu. It is fast as hell even not that beautiful....

yikes, I hope someone who knows what's going on responds to this. I really wanna upgrade cause Plasma 5 looks so pretty, but I'm worried about bugs and, after reading your post, performance issues!
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Originally posted by dbaker View Post
      yikes, I hope someone who knows what's going on responds to this. I really wanna upgrade cause Plasma 5 looks so pretty, but I'm worried about bugs and, after reading your post, performance issues!
      Well, this initial massive "attack" to HW is OK - lots of indexing, music/picture library scanning. Of course this could be better planned as well
      I expect different level of HW utilization which could be controlled through settings - minimal (slight) for less capable HW, normal and full for those who owns workstations
      Now it is "all or nothing" situation.

Comment

I'm wondering if anyone from Kubuntu dev team read this forum - could I expect any help from real Kubuntu experts ?

Comment

Originally posted by artbar View Post
          I'm wondering if anyone from Kubuntu dev team read this forum - could I expect any help from real Kubuntu experts ?
          Some do, but not regularly. bug reports are the place they would look for this sort of thing.

That high a load on a modern system is strange - my daily driver is a core 2 duo laptop from 2009-ish, and it does not overheat, and the fans do not run any harder than I recall them doing in 14.10, but that is just one dude's laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Some do, but not regularly. bug reports are the place they would look for this sort of thing.

That high a load on a modern system is strange - my daily driver is a core 2 duo laptop from 2009-ish, and it does not overheat, and the fans do not run any harder than I recall them doing in 14.10, but that is just one dude's laptop.
            I'm a bit lost in the Launchpad - where do I have to report my problem exactly ? Can you help me with link to the proper place at launchpad.net ?

Comment

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
              Probably this section specifically, as we don't know the specific thing causing this
              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...icular_package

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs
                Probably this section specifically, as we don't know the specific thing causing this
                https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...icular_package
                Well, tonight I decided to give a second try to Kubuntu because I needed logs and other info to register ticket. The only difference from my last attempt to install Kubuntu was in BIOS settings - I set it to defaults. Other than that was same as last time.
                This time I have different story . Everything is fine (knocking the wood). Of course, KDE is in the bigger need of HW resources than XFCE, but that perfectly OK. Best part of my story so far is that my experience is better - no hang ups, overheating so far. I don't think that resetting BIOS made this difference, but who knows

So far so good, I'm intended to keep Kubuntu for some time at least.

Comment

Semi same boat - I'm not a programmer, but like you way back in 2006 I switched up to Ubuntu and quickly dumped it in favour of Kubuntu. 15.04 is nice and all, but I've run into a few issues with it. I'm still hunting right now.

Comment

So far so good, I'm intended to keep Kubuntu for some time at least.
                    Whole last night it was OK.
                    Today it crashed again due to overheating...
                    It seams no end to the story yet...

Comment

Whole last night it was OK.
                      Today it crashed again due to overheating...
                      It seams no end to the story yet...
                      have you tried running "top" in a konsole window and keep an eye on it to catch whatever starts hogging the CPU ?

if you have been away from Kubuntu for 3 years ,,,,,and you cant eventually get 15.04 to play nice ,,,,,,,,,,try the 14.04-LTS (long term support) it is rock solid and supported with all the security and bug fix updates until 16.04-LTS comes out .

it has all the super customization capabilities KDE has become known for and was the best of plasma4 before the move to plasma5 (a near total rewrite of everything ) you have coincidently come back to Kubuntu at exactly the same faze as in your original post
                      After introduction of KDE4 Kubuntu became something unfinished,
                      Kubuntu-14.04 is the one at this point that will give a person the best experience of a polished all working no hiccups/quirks OS with a beautiful KDE desktop....IMO

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I agree with vinnywright and would also add that 14.10 is quite solid as well. I am not prepared to have 15.04 on my main Laptop but have it installed on a USB flash memory to keep an eye on progress in performance with my Laptop's hardware.

During the pre-release testing, I found limitations in Widgets and Applications and in fact took the step to suggest that they cancel the release of 15.04. This naturally did not happen, so I will wait and see how 15.10 progresses and hope it is more stable.

Comment

I have had Vivid on HP Elitebook 2530p no issues in terms of performance. I almost forgot: 14.10 gave issues with overheating due to "plasma-desktop" application/component/process utilising too much CPU. No crashes, ever. Vivid had a bug that is removed now (they thought it was not a nice bug and it got squashed ) that had to do with logout issues.

Plasma5 changed too much too fast. It will take two years to release something that is release-worthy. For one, they shouldn't have changed the window manager together with everything else, LightDM is actually better but that's just my POV.

So no 14.10 is not quite solid I had to logout every 30 minutes to get it operational again. Plasma-desktop would slow everything down to a crawl in addition to overheating. I was actually intending to fix the issue myself but I am without resources at this point.
                          Last edited by xennex81; May 03, 2015, 03:47 AM.

Comment

I dunno....I remember 8.10 and the very rocky and rough transition to KDE 4. This transition was better, but still quite bumpy. At least Vivid is not an LTS release. It still might have been wise to have held off at least one more release - that 15.10 should have been the target for a full transition to Frameworks 5. That to me means that 15.04 would have continued to offer a (nother "boring" and) fairly safe KDE 4 desktop by default along with a 2nd KDE Next technical preview (call it a Technical Preview Vol 2).

Comment

Thanks vinnywright, NoWorries, xennex81 and nukedathlonman.

In fact you're making valid conclusions and suggestions. I was too quick with moving from Xubuntu to Kubuntu with fresh Plasma 5. I have to admit - my only motive to come back to Kubuntu was aesthetics of Plasma 5. Of course, mass of positive reviews were "the last drop" making me impatient with this transition. Otherwise Xubuntu was and still perfect match for me. But I wanted some "modern nice looking desktop" so madly

Now back to reality - I'll wait for next Kubuntu LTS, back to Xubuntu.

Thank you for your thoughts and help.

Comment

Working...
                              X