X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Executing grub-install failed

Hello!
    I think I need some help with the installation of Kubuntu 15.04 on my desktop. So here's the thing:

I have created a bootable USB stick and tried to install Kubuntu, but when it's grub's turn to be installed, there is a message "Executing grub-install in /dev/sdb7 failed. This is a fatal error" and of course my PC aborts the installation.

The partitions I have created for my Kubuntu system are: ~75GB for the OS itself, in ext4 format (/dev/sdb5), ~2.9GB swap area (/dev/sdb6) and 100MB for BIOS boot (/dev/sdb7) as asked by the installer to do (for the last one).
    I chose /dev/sdb7 for the grub installation from the bottom drop-down list, but it was no good...

I googled my problem, but the solutions I found didn't work for me.
    I would really appreciate any help!

sdb7 definitely does not look right to me as a place for GRUB. GRUB 2 CAN go into a partition, but the usual advice is not to do so, instead GRUB 2 should go into a drive, like /dev/sda or /dev/sdb.
    It looks like you have two hard drives?
    Is Windows there somewhere?
    Do you have a MBR system or a newer UEFI system?
    Many issues from simple to more complex. (E.g., we would not want to mess up your Windows, if you have it installed.)

One thing you could try (and perhaps should try, first) that should not be at all harmless and that MAY just simply fix this: run Boot Repair disk. Boot Repair has become popular; and it seems it helps more often than not.
    I am assuming that you did install Kubuntu, but that only GRUB install failed.
    Have a look at this:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 26, 2015, 07:51 AM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
      It looks like you have two hard drives?
      Is Windows there somewhere?
      Yes, I have two hard drives. I use sda for my files, and sdb is an SSD drive for my operating systems.
      Windows is at sdb4, whereas sdb1, 2 and 3 were created by windows during installation and are respectively Recovery, System and MBR.
      Do you have a MBR system or a newer UEFI system?
      I have a UEFI system
      I am assuming that you did install Kubuntu, but that only GRUB install failed.
      No, the installation was aborted and Kubuntu was booted by "Live Session User", which I assume is the USB Stick.
      Can I run Boot-repair from there?

Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

No, the installation was aborted and Kubuntu was booted by "Live Session User", which I assume is the USB Stick.
        Can I run Boot-repair from there?
        No, you can't.

My experience these days is limited to non-Windows systems (I quit Windows dual-booting with XP)--Linux only here. I am very hesitant messing with Windows as I don't want to mess up your Windows booting.

OK, that said, you do have the newer UEFI system. That means on your drive(s) you have an ESP partition (EFI System Partition). It looks like it is probably sdb2, put there by Windows. sdb2 should be the UEFI ESP for your computer. (You can have more than one ESP in a UEFI, but most people seem to have and use only one.)

OK, if this is true--I think it is true--when you install Kubuntu, tell the installer to put GRUB in sdb (or you might try sdb2--but sometimes GRUB may complain about being put into a partition versus being put into a drive). Here's the deal: GRUB 2 and Kubuntu are UEFI-GPT aware. Thus, in theory, if you tell GRUB 2 to go into sdb, the installer and GRUB 2 should know enough to do it right, and GRUB 2 should then be properly set up into the ESP (along with your Windows bootloader, which should also be in the ESP -- all the bootloaders on your computer should be in your ESP).

So, try it: Run the Kubuntu installer, at the GRUB install dialog, see if it will accept sdb as a target for GRUB. Perhaps, though maybe not the first choice, sdb2 might also work, I'm not certain. Afterwards, if Kubuntu is installed, if there is a booting issue, you could then run Boot Repair -- however, I'm fairly certain that you probably will not need Boot Repair.
        Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 27, 2015, 07:12 PM. Reason: spelling
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

PS, as you may know, for the newer UEFI systems, you must use the 64-bit version of Kubuntu (not the 32-bit version).

Comment

Note:
            100MB for BIOS boot (/dev/sdb7) ...
            That sounds like a so-called BIOS Boot Partition, used when GRUB is used in the old-fashioned way (without ESP). But ... with a UEFI system, you should not need to use the BIOS Boot Partition. Everything should be done through the ESP. Windows, as installed, is no doubt set up to use the GPT scheme with UEFI and the ESP--no need for this BIOS Boot Partition. That's the theory, anyway. This stuff is still new, it's a bit of a crap-shoot; also, different computer makers/firmware concerns, implement the UEFI in their own ways.

Comment

Run the Kubuntu installer, at the GRUB install dialog, see if it will accept sdb as a taget for GRUB. Afterwards, if Kubuntu is installed, if there is a booting issue, you could then run Boot Repair -- however, I'm failry certain that you probably will not need Boot repair.
              I finally did it! It accepted /dev/sdb as a target for GRUB, and now everything is fine. I didn't encounter any booting issues either so I did not need Boot Repair.
              Thank you very much for your valuable help!!!
              Have a nice evening!

Comment

Hey, way to go, yannis! Good job there. Welcome to Kubuntu, btw. Don't be a stranger here.

Comment

Just to be clear about one small detail, in Post #6 I said,
                  "... no need for this BIOS Boot Partition [which is sdb7]."

However, of course, Windows put it there. Thus, do not delete it! It doesn't hurt anything as it sits there, only 100 MB. I don't think you would delete it, yannis. I'm just being clear so I am in the clear!

Comment

Working...
                  X