This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[PLASMA 5] Plasma 4 Look and Feel?

Firstly, I'd like to point out I am completely new to Linux and after trying many different variations of it via Distrowatch, I found Ubuntu to be the most straight forward for beginners like myself. Having said that I found Unity not my cup of tea and because I had tried KDE (and loved it) before, Kubuntu was the natural choice because it is the best of both worlds.

Now on to my current situation

Is there a way to revert back to plasma 4? Or at least restore the look and feel of plasma 4 without having to downgrade the whole system version to 14.10 again?

I find plasma 5 to be quite hideous but I don't want to downgrade my system to an inferior version just because I don't like the look of the plasma 5 default desktop.

If there is a way, can I please get instructions or a link to instructions? I tried Google but because 15.04 is only hours new there aren't any that I could find that were current.

An additional question, if there is a way to revert to plasma 4 on 15.04, will it be a security risk? Or is it merely cosmetic?

Thank you in advance for your time.

If you look at system settings, under Workspace Theme, you may have a button in the Workspace Theme section, under Look and Feel panel, labelled "Oxygen". This will set all the plasma theme, cursor, color scheme, etc to the KDE4 Oxygen style. It will be very very close to KDE4's look.

On the two systems I looked at, this button is no longer there, but one can go into all the different appearance sections and select Oxygen wherever you see it.
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...sma-4-on-15-04

You cannot go back to a real KDE4 in 15.04, as the new stuff is a re-write of the underlying Qt/KDE, and is using different libraries and all that.

Of course, there are still a myriad of different theming elements and options, so one is never stuck with the default.
    Last edited by claydoh; Apr 23, 2015, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Ok thank you, I had a feeling that might be the case. appreciate the reply.

Comment

Hence, I'll be sticking with 14.04 for some time
        kubuntu 20.10

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          If you look at system settings, under Workspace Theme, you may have a button in the Workspace Theme section, under Look and Feel panel, labelled "Oxygen". This will set all the plasma theme, cursor, color scheme, etc to the KDE4 Oxygen style. It will be very very close to KDE4's look.

On the two systems I looked at, this button is no longer there, but one can go into all the different appearance sections and select Oxygen wherever you see it.
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...sma-4-on-15-04
          Whether Oxygen theme appears under look-and-feel should depend on whether you have "plasma-theme-oxygen" package installed.

Comment

Hmm I wondered where mine went, lol! I had it on both machines when I posted the screenshot form the thread I linked to.

Comment

Can't do it. Plasma 5 is so ugly and buggy I cant tolerate it anymore. I'm throwing in the towel, going to go back to Kubuntu 14.04, maybe Debian 8, they both have the kde4 desktop I love lol.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X